Plastics and glass - materials question

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the forum user is seeking suggestions for a material with specific properties for their design. They mention glass as an ideal material but are also considering plastics for cost-effectiveness. Some suggested materials are ABS for its impact and thermal resistance, PEI for its high melting point, and PET for its thermal and molding properties. It is important to consider all factors when selecting a material and further research or consulting with a materials engineer is recommended.
dcbloemer
Hello folks! I have a few questions regarding plastics. I am pretty new to material science, so please bear with me...

I am actually looking for a material with a set of specific properties that my design requires: good impact resistance, moderate to high thermal resistance / high melting point / low thermal creep, high hardness, good machinability / easily moldable, good transparency / translucency, and it must be nontoxic. Glass would be ideal for most of these points, however, a plastic would presumably be cheaper to manufacture in large runs. I am aware of glass-filled polycarbonates and polystyrenes, but do not know much about them.

Could anyone knowledgeable in materials engineering provide some suggestions for materials that I may want to look into? I know I can use matweb to look up specific material properties, but seeing as there are over 80 pages of polycarbonates alone, I thought it would be nice if someone could give me some specific suggestions to cut down on my search time.

Thanks in advance! I appreciate your help!

Engineering news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post and your interest in materials science. I would be happy to provide some suggestions for materials that may fit your design requirements.

Firstly, I would recommend looking into acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS) plastic. It is known for its high impact resistance, good thermal resistance, and moderate hardness. It is also easily moldable and can be transparent or translucent depending on the manufacturing process. Additionally, ABS is non-toxic and cost-effective for large production runs. However, it may not have as high of a melting point as glass, so that is something to consider.

Another option to consider is polyetherimide (PEI) plastic. It has excellent impact resistance and high thermal resistance, with a melting point of around 217°C. It is also known for its high hardness and machinability. However, it may not be as easily moldable as ABS and may not be as cost-effective for large production runs.

Lastly, I would suggest looking into polyethylene terephthalate (PET) plastic. It has good impact resistance, high thermal resistance, and a high melting point of around 260°C. It is also easily moldable and can be transparent or translucent. However, it may not have as high of a hardness as ABS or PEI.

I hope these suggestions help in your search for the perfect material for your design. It is always important to consider all factors, such as cost and manufacturability, when selecting a material. I also recommend consulting with a materials engineer or conducting further research to ensure the best fit for your needs.

Best of luck in your search!

1. What are plastics and glass made of?

Plastics are made from polymers, which are long chains of repeating molecules. These molecules can be made from natural sources, such as plants, or from synthetic materials like petroleum. Glass, on the other hand, is made from a mixture of sand, soda ash, and limestone that is melted together at high temperatures.

2. How are plastics and glass recycled?

Plastics are typically recycled through a process called mechanical recycling, where they are shredded and melted down into pellets that can be used to make new plastic products. Glass, on the other hand, can be recycled indefinitely without losing its quality. It is crushed into small pieces, melted, and then molded into new products.

3. What are the benefits of using plastics and glass?

Plastics and glass have many benefits, including being lightweight, durable, and versatile. They are used in a wide range of products, from packaging and construction materials to medical devices and electronics. They also have a low cost of production, making them accessible to a wide range of industries and consumers.

4. What are the potential drawbacks of using plastics and glass?

While plastics and glass have many benefits, they also have some potential drawbacks. Plastics, in particular, can take hundreds of years to decompose, leading to pollution and harm to wildlife. Glass, while recyclable, can break easily and can be dangerous if not handled properly. Both materials also require a significant amount of energy and resources to produce.

5. How are plastics and glass being improved for sustainability?

In recent years, there has been a growing focus on improving the sustainability of plastics and glass. This includes developing biodegradable and compostable plastics, as well as using recycled materials in their production. Glass is also being made with higher percentages of recycled glass, reducing the need for new materials. Additionally, research is being done on alternative materials to replace plastics and glass altogether, such as plant-based bioplastics and bio-glass.