Register to reply

Sound waves

by Null_
Tags: sound, waves
Share this thread:
Null_
Jun1-10, 08:23 AM
P: 232
After much thought on the matter, I am very confused about sound. I know that it is just a wave...what is the wave made of? Vibrations of what? And if the wave is made of nothing, then how does it travel through a vacuum?

And, if there are no "sound particles" as I have been told, then why does sound travel slower than light? Light has an associated mass, so I don't see why this doesn't slow it down to slower than the speed of sound.

I don't have much physics knowledge as you can probably tell, so please keep the responses so. :)
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers develop new sensor to detect tiny individual nanoparticles
Tiny particles have big potential in debate over nuclear proliferation
Ray tracing and beyond
Naty1
Jun1-10, 01:35 PM
P: 5,632
check wikipedia...it can answer your questions..

Sound is vibrational energy of a material...hence sound, unlike electromagnetic radiation (light) cannot ravel in a vacuum...as there is no material to vibrate...

For example in traditional telephone receivers carbon granules move in response to varying electrical signal strength...this moves a diaphram..which vibrates air molecules..and, voila, you can HEAR another person....vocal cords also vibrate air molecules so you can get hollered at by girlfriends and your parents....

Register to reply