build a microscope that sees at the atomic level?

by siliconhype
Tags: atomic, build, microscope, microscopes, sees
siliconhype
Aug28-04, 01:57 PM
P: 33
I am curious about microscopes, I know i could buy an optical one for around $200 $500, i am wondering about how hard it would be to build a microscope that sees at the atomic level? I imagine buing one is pricey. Is it within the budget and access of Average Joe to build a microscope that powerful?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Better thermal-imaging lens from waste sulfur
Hackathon team's GoogolPlex gives Siri extra powers
Bright points in Sun's atmosphere mark patterns deep in its interior
PRodQuanta
Aug28-04, 02:57 PM
P: 354
No. Those microscopes cost hundreds of thousands. Building one wouldn't be much less, assuming you know how to build one (that works).

I am assuming you are talking about an electron microscope or a QTM.

Paden Roder
siliconhype
Aug28-04, 07:21 PM
Yeah, hmm, i think a while ago i mightve read an article and downloaded a program to run one of those home made... but the price tag was big even for do it yourself instructions... eitherway, does anyone of any good microscope (optical) suppliers? hopefully near Toronto... or someone that ships to Canada.

Artman
Aug30-04, 08:59 AM
P: 1,591

build a microscope that sees at the atomic level?

Quote Quote by siliconhype
Yeah, hmm, i think a while ago i mightve read an article and downloaded a program to run one of those home made... but the price tag was big even for do it yourself instructions... eitherway, does anyone of any good microscope (optical) suppliers? hopefully near Toronto... or someone that ships to Canada.
Here is a dealer that sells parts to build your own or surplus fully assembled units. I don't know if they ship to Canada or not, but they are worth a look.

Surplus Shed
siliconhype
Aug30-04, 09:24 AM
Looks good, thanks.

Register to reply