How do you get field solutions to Continuum Mechanics Problems?

In summary: Differential Geometry, specifically General Relativity, is a similar approach used to model and understand the behavior of three-dimensional physical systems.
Cotton_Sorbet
I can do Calculus reasonably well in the context of multi-variables and simple undergraduate problems, but its all algebraic, I don't have a geometric understanding of how it is that the solving happens. Fortunately, with the Lagrangian method, I can appresciate at least qualitatively how one takes an arbitrary physical system and expresses it as a system of differential equations.

But I'm interested in physical systems which are three dimensional by nature, where the solutions aren't single numbers corresponding to natural frequencies or time evolutions of single particles, but rather continuous functions (eg describing the flow characteristics of air through a jet engine or how a shock wave reflects off a large object, etc.).

I'm set to take General Relativity next year (only undergraduate >.<), which I've been told is similar to how advanced fluid dynamics works.

As far as I can make out, you find a Lagrangian on the field you're working with and work backward to find the field for given boundary conditions and get some finite difference setup to give you the solution.

Can anyone elabourate on this and the general method of solving continuum problems in Differential Geometry?

Any explicit calculation (eg flow around a rotating turbine (pretty please? :))) would be greatly appresciated.

(PS I know Set Theory and I've done Special Relativity, which involves Minkowsky Space and the Einstein Summation Notation, but I never really got what the Levi Chivita connection was, just the properties of the Levi Civita Symbol)

Physics news on Phys.org
The general method of solving continuum problems in Differential Geometry is to start by defining a Lagrangian for the system, which essentially describes the physical laws governing the system. The Lagrangian can then be used to derive the Euler-Lagrange equations, which are a set of partial differential equations (PDEs) describing the motion of the system. These equations can then be solved using various methods, such as the finite element method or the finite difference method, which involve discretizing the domain into small elements. In some cases, analytical solutions may be available.For example, in the case of a rotating turbine, one would first define a Lagrangian describing the behavior of the turbine, including the forces acting on it and the angular velocity. This Lagrangian can then be used to derive the associated Euler-Lagrange equations, which can then be solved using various numerical methods. The solution would then describe the flow characteristics of the air around the turbine.

1. What is Continuum Mechanics and why is it important in science?

Continuum Mechanics is a branch of mechanics that studies the behavior of materials that are continuously distributed. It is important in science because it provides a framework for understanding and predicting the physical behavior of materials under different conditions, which is crucial in fields like engineering, physics, and geology.

2. How do you define a "field" in Continuum Mechanics?

In Continuum Mechanics, a field is a physical quantity that varies continuously in space and time. Examples of fields include temperature, pressure, and displacement.

3. What are the steps to obtaining field solutions in Continuum Mechanics Problems?

The steps to obtaining field solutions in Continuum Mechanics Problems include setting up the governing equations, applying boundary and initial conditions, solving the equations using analytical or numerical methods, and interpreting and analyzing the results.

4. What are the most commonly used methods for solving Continuum Mechanics Problems?

The most commonly used methods for solving Continuum Mechanics Problems include analytical methods such as the method of separation of variables and numerical methods such as finite difference, finite element, and boundary element methods.

5. What are the limitations of Continuum Mechanics in solving real-world problems?

While Continuum Mechanics is a powerful tool for understanding the behavior of materials, it has its limitations in solving real-world problems. These limitations include assumptions of material homogeneity and continuity, neglecting small-scale effects, and the need for simplifying assumptions in complex problems.