Connection-oriented TCP

by lostinxlation
Tags: connectionoriented
lostinxlation
Jun11-10, 05:29 AM
P: 38
Hi

I was reading the network book the other day and it said TCP was a connection-oriented protocol, and I'm now puzzled with what connection-oriented means in this instance.

I understand what connetion-oriented means in general. In the data link layer, connection-oriented communication such as ATM, Frame-Relay and telephone conversation set up the communication path first, transfer the data along that path, and tear down the path after the data transfer is done. The data flows on the same path which is set up in advance. It's very clear what connection oriented means in such a case, but I can't see a clear picture about connection-oriented in transport layer, TCP.

TCP(or any transport layer entities) doesn't specify the communication path, right ? How could TCP be connection-oriented ?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Review: With Galaxy S5, Samsung proves less can be more
Making graphene in your kitchen
Study casts doubt on climate benefit of biofuels from corn residue
waht
Jun11-10, 05:04 PM
P: 1,636
Quote Quote by lostinxlation View Post
Hi

I was reading the network book the other day and it said TCP was a connection-oriented protocol, and I'm now puzzled with what connection-oriented means in this instance.

I understand what connetion-oriented means in general. In the data link layer, connection-oriented communication such as ATM, Frame-Relay and telephone conversation set up the communication path first, transfer the data along that path, and tear down the path after the data transfer is done. The data flows on the same path which is set up in advance. It's very clear what connection oriented means in such a case, but I can't see a clear picture about connection-oriented in transport layer, TCP.

TCP(or any transport layer entities) doesn't specify the communication path, right ? How could TCP be connection-oriented ?
TCP is a bit sophisticated protocol which ensures that all data packets are received. If some particular packet is lost TCP will ask the transmitting end to send it again until all packets are received in full. To accomplish this the two-ends have to talk to each other back and forth. In order to do that they have to be initialized that a TCP is to be used. That's why it's called connection-oriented.

Register to reply