Student on Ladder (Equilibrium)

In summary: Y componentCorrect, these are the four forces on the left leg. On the right leg, there are only three forces: the normal force at C, the tension, and the horizontal component of the force at C.In summary, the student is standing on a 2.7 m ladder hinged at point C, with a tie-rod attached at the halfway point and standing at a spot 2.025 m along the leg. Using the law of cosines and equilibrium equations, we can find the tension in the tie-rod and the normal forces at points A and E. The forces on each leg include the tension, normal force at
SuperCass

Homework Statement

A student is standing on a ladder as shown in the figure below Each leg of the ladder is 2.7 m long and is hidged at point C. The tie-rod (BD) attached halfway up and is 0.76 m long. The student is standing at a spot 2.025 m along the leg and her weight is 478 N. (You may ignore the weight of the ladder and any minor friction between the floor and the legs.)

5u1out.gif

a) What is the tension in the tie-rod?

b) What is the vertical component of the force of the ground on the ladder leg at point A?

c) What is the horizontal component of the force of the ground on the ladder leg at point A?

d) What is the vertical component of the force of the ground on the ladder leg at point E?

Homework Equations

F=ma
Fg=mg
c^2 = a^2 + b^2 -2abcos(angle c)

The Attempt at a Solution

I used law of cosines to find the angles in the diagram.
I tried finding torques but I'm pretty sure I did those completely wrong.

Help me out please! I'm stuck!

Physics news on Phys.org
SuperCass said:

Homework Statement

A student is standing on a ladder as shown in the figure below Each leg of the ladder is 2.7 m long and is hidged at point C. The tie-rod (BD) attached halfway up and is 0.76 m long. The student is standing at a spot 2.025 m along the leg and her weight is 478 N. (You may ignore the weight of the ladder and any minor friction between the floor and the legs.)

5u1out.gif

a) What is the tension in the tie-rod?

b) What is the vertical component of the force of the ground on the ladder leg at point A?

c) What is the horizontal component of the force of the ground on the ladder leg at point A?

d) What is the vertical component of the force of the ground on the ladder leg at point E?

Homework Equations

F=ma
Fg=mg
c^2 = a^2 + b^2 -2abcos(angle c)

The Attempt at a Solution

I used law of cosines to find the angles in the diagram.
I tried finding torques but I'm pretty sure I did those completely wrong.

Help me out please! I'm stuck!

Consider two separated rods. How many forces exerted on each rod?
Use summation F(x)=0
summation F(y)=0
summation torque (C)=0

For the forces acting on the feet of the ladder, would that just be the normal force since it said to ignore friction? Are there others?

No, there is only normal force, since friction is negligible as stated in the problem.

What other forces are in the x direction then other than the tension?
Would I do two normal forces for each leg?

Well, in the x direction, there are only tensions and horizontal components of forces at C. However the forces at C are a bit complicated, because they also have vertical components.

All you have to do is to write down the equilibrium equations as inky pointed out:
- For the left leg, total F(x) = 0, total F(y) = 0, and total torque about any axis = 0.
- Similar things for the right leg.
So: What are the forces on the left leg? On the right leg?

SuperCass said:
What other forces are in the x direction then other than the tension?
Would I do two normal forces for each leg?

(1)Firstly draw right leg. How many forces acting on right leg? If we neglect friction ,check do you get 4 forces exerted on let leg.

(2) Find sin (theta) and cos (theta) from right leg.

(3) Use summation F(y)=0 and summation torque(C)=0

(4) Draw left leg. How many forces acting on left leg? If we neglect friction ,check do you get 5 forces exerted on let leg.

(5) Use summation F(y)=0 and summation torque(C)=0

(6)Now you got 4 equations. Find normal force at A and E.

(7) Find tension.

inky said:
(1)Firstly draw right leg. How many forces acting on right leg? If we neglect friction ,check do you get 4 forces exerted on let leg.

(2) Find sin (theta) and cos (theta) from right leg.

(3) Use summation F(y)=0 and summation torque(C)=0

(4) Draw left leg. How many forces acting on left leg? If we neglect friction ,check do you get 5 forces exerted on let leg.

(5) Use summation F(y)=0 and summation torque(C)=0

(6)Now you got 4 equations. Find normal force at A and E.

(7) Find tension.

sorry . Typing error for no.(1) and no.(4)

(1)Firstly draw right leg. How many forces acting on right leg? If we neglect friction ,check do you get 4 forces exerted on right leg or not.

(4) Draw left leg. How many forces acting on left leg? If we neglect friction ,check do you get 5 forces exerted on left leg or not.

inky said:
sorry . Typing error for no.(1) and no.(4)

(1)Firstly draw right leg. How many forces acting on right leg? If we neglect friction ,check do you get 4 forces exerted on right leg or not.

(4) Draw left leg. How many forces acting on left leg? If we neglect friction ,check do you get 5 forces exerted on left leg or not.

inky, what are those 4 forces exerted on right leg? I got 3
1 is on C from the left leg, which has negative Y component and positive X component
2 is on E from the ground, which only has a positive Y component
3 would be the tension

the same for the left leg, I got 4 forces
1 is on C from the right leg, with a positive Y component and negative X component
2 is where the guy is standing, with only a negative Y component
3 would be the tension, the same as before
4 is the normal force from the ground to the left leg with only a positive Y component

santi_h87 said:
inky, what are those 4 forces exerted on right leg? I got 3
1 is on C from the left leg, which has negative Y component and positive X component
2 is on E from the ground, which only has a positive Y component
3 would be the tension

the same for the left leg, I got 4 forces
1 is on C from the right leg, with a positive Y component and negative X component
2 is where the guy is standing, with only a negative Y component
3 would be the tension, the same as before
4 is the normal force from the ground to the left leg with only a positive Y component

Hi santi_h87,
You are right as well. I count two forces at point C.

1. What is "Student on Ladder (Equilibrium)"?

"Student on Ladder (Equilibrium)" is a thought experiment often used in physics to explain the concept of equilibrium. It involves a student standing on a ladder that is leaning against a wall, with the ladder in a state of static equilibrium.

2. How is equilibrium achieved in this thought experiment?

In this thought experiment, equilibrium is achieved when the forces acting on the ladder and the student balance out, resulting in no net force or movement in any direction.

3. What forces are acting on the ladder and the student in this thought experiment?

The ladder experiences the force of gravity pulling it downwards, as well as the normal force from the wall pushing it upwards. The student experiences the same forces, but in opposite directions.

4. How does the placement of the student's center of mass affect the equilibrium of the ladder?

The placement of the student's center of mass plays a crucial role in maintaining equilibrium. If the student's center of mass is directly above the base of the ladder, the ladder will remain in a state of equilibrium. However, if the student's center of mass shifts outside of the base of the ladder, the ladder will become unstable and may tip over.

5. What real-life applications can be understood from this thought experiment?

This thought experiment can help us understand the importance of balance and center of mass in maintaining equilibrium in physical systems. It can also be applied to practical situations such as construction, where the stability of ladders and other structures is crucial for safety.