Finding the reactions of a ladder against the floor & wall

by skaterbasist
Tags: floor, ladder, reactions, wall
Share this thread:
skaterbasist
Jun20-10, 04:20 AM
P: 13
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A Man weighing 180lb has climbed 60% of the ladder shown. The ladder weighs 30 lb. Find the forces the wall & floor resists (reactions).

The angle the ladder makes with the floor is 60 degrees.

2. Relevant equations

Summation of forces in the x & y directions is zero since the ladder is in static equilibrium.

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm practically stuck at how to approach this problem. I understand that the summation of forces is zero since its in static equilibrium. But what's really confusing me is how the man standing at that particular area will change the distribution of the forces.

Will there only be a reaction in the y component at the bottom and reaction in the x component at the top?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. The course I am taking is about Engineering Mechanics Statics.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New type of solar concentrator desn't block the view
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Asian inventions dominate energy storage systems
Chewy0087
Jun20-10, 05:41 AM
P: 373
Hint : Moments

Will there only be a reaction in the y component at the bottom and reaction in the x component at the top?

Half right, it's a smooth wall so only x component but it's a rough surface, so you've got to take that into account.
inky
Jun20-10, 07:08 AM
P: 101
[QUOTE=skaterbasist;2768510]1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A Man weighing 180lb has climbed 60% of the ladder shown. The ladder weighs 30 lb. Find the forces the wall & floor resists (reactions).

The angle the ladder makes with the floor is 60 degrees.

Where is your diagram? Wall is smooth or not !! Read the problem carefully. The man is standing 60% of the ladder means 60%* length of the ladder.
Draw the force diagram.
You must consider Normal reaction forces at the wall and the floor.
If the wall and floor are rough, you must consider friction.
Then use three equilibrim equations.

Register to reply