Register to reply

Mean, median, Mode, standard deviation and 10th and 90th percentiles!

by pinnacleprouk
Tags: 10th, 90th, deviation, median, mode, percentiles, standard
Share this thread:
pinnacleprouk
Jun23-10, 07:30 AM
P: 28
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have two sets of data, each with 30 distances and 30 results, I have the mean, median, mode, range etc, I have drawn histograms and cumulative frequency curves, got the IRQ for both sets of data.

Now I need to compare the data using standard deviations and also find the 10th and 90th percentiles, could you explain the EASIEST way to do this without having to write a lot more things down, is there a formula or equation to get both these things.

Also how would I superimpose smooth curves to represent data distributions on the histograms and mark on the means, what data would I use and how would I identify skewness if any.

I just want descriptions on the easiest way to achieve this, I have not provided any numbers/data as i don't want you to do my work for me, rather just to give me the method in which I can do it myself.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
Tedjn
Jun24-10, 05:45 PM
P: 738
To find the 10th and 90th percentile, use the definition. The score at the 90th percentile means it is higher than 90% of the data; in your case higher than 27 of the data points.

Register to reply