Rehabilitating lungs

by SW VandeCarr
Tags: lungs, rehabilitating
SW VandeCarr
Jun25-10, 12:36 PM
P: 2,490
Lungs gone bad? Can't get a transplant? Maybe you can get old lungs rehabed in the future.

http://www.technologyreview.com/biomedicine/25657/?a=f
Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
Pregnancy complications may be more common in immigrants from certain regions
Use of frozen material for fecal transplant successfully treats C. difficile infection
Death rates from pancreatic cancer predicted to rise in Europe in 2014
nismaratwork
Jun28-10, 11:54 AM
P: 2,281
I like the conservative view of the authors, not saying this is just around the corner, and the notion is very appealing. Given challenges in gene and stem cell therapies, I wouldn't be shocked if this comes first.
rhody
Jun30-10, 10:18 AM
PF Gold
P: 765
Thanks SW,

I passed this on to a long time friend, who has chronic sarcoidosis. We discuss issues related to health all the time. The problem is as best I understand it, that to date, anyone who receives a lung transplant (as last resort to save someone's life), within 2 years the sarcoid returns in most every case, so at best the "old treatment" gives the person more time. As one would imagine there are plenty of side effects and anti-rejection med issues to deal with too.

Rhody...

nismaratwork
Jun30-10, 10:47 AM
P: 2,281

Rehabilitating lungs

Quote Quote by rhody View Post
Thanks SW,

I passed this on to a long time friend, who has chronic sarcoidosis. We discuss issues related to health all the time. The problem is as best I understand it, that to date, anyone who receives a lung transplant (as last resort to save someone's life), within 2 years the sarcoid returns in most every case, so at best the "old treatment" gives the person more time. As one would imagine there are plenty of side effects and anti-rejection med issues to deal with too.

Rhody...
This is sadly true, but time is precious and pain is fleeting.

Register to reply