Anyone know how I can build a FM radar gun?

In summary: Well here are a couple of things I would like to know. Thanks in advance!First, you'll need to purchase a small FM transmitter kit from an electronics store or online. Then, you'll need to pick up their signal with a standard FM radio receiver. To use the higher power output of the transmitter, you'll need to have an FCC license. Overall, it sounds like you'll need to do a lot of research before beginning this project. Thanks for your question!
drakecai
Well here are a couple of things I would like to know. Thanks in advance!

how to build a Frequency-Modulated Radar gun.

or how to build a Frequency-Modulated transmitter and reciever

or where i can get either of these :D Thanks again!

Engineering news on Phys.org
none?

drakecai said:
Well here are a couple of things I would like to know. Thanks in advance!

how to build a Frequency-Modulated Radar gun.

or how to build a Frequency-Modulated transmitter and reciever

or where i can get either of these :D Thanks again!

Welcome to the PF.

You can get small FM transmitter kits from electronics stores like Radio Shack, or from online electroics kit suppliers. They are designed to put out a small enough signal to allow them to pass the FCC rules. You can pick up their signal on a standard FM radio receiver, usually up to 10m or so away.

To go with higher power than that, you need to have an FCC license.

well I plan to use this FM thing for a radar gun so can someone explain to me how I can make it into a radar gun? I need the FM transmitter and reciever because i plan to move while using the gun and want to know both the distance of the target and the speed of the target. Thanks any details on my plans are appreciated.

The easiest way to do that would be to transmit pulses to the target. The distance can be calculated from the round trip time of the pulse. The velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in distance between consecutive measurements by the change in time between the measurements.

It sounds like you need to do a lot of research about radar and microwave circuitry before beginning a project like this.

I have done my research on Radar so I know that I need something like a FM transmitter because doppler radar can not measure distance.

But why would I need to learn about microwave circuitry?

Also can you contain a link on where I can learn more about microwave circuitry?

Thanks, much appreciated.

drakecai said:
I have done my research on Radar so I know that I need something like a FM transmitter because doppler radar can not measure distance.

Say what?

But why would I need to learn about microwave circuitry?

Have you done much reading about radar? You should be able to tell us...

Also can you contain a link on where I can learn more about microwave circuitry?

Thanks, much appreciated.

You can start learning basics at wikipedia.org

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microwave

Berkeman, I had to laugh a little at the Wiki link to radar where it describes the P band "for 'previous', applied retrospectively to early radar systems". The U.S. Navy is currently operating a SPASUR (for space surveillance) Radar system on about 217 MHz.

hahaha, my bad I read it wrong. Indeed I guess i do need to learn more about radar as i have been only learning about radar that deals with my project.
Thanks all!

I misread the "micro wave" thing as wrong. I thought you wanted me to learn about the circuitry of a microwave that heats items. :redface:

FM TX is easy to build ...smallest FM TX can be built around BF194 transistor...ckeck net for circuits

FM RX is little complex...i think u can but compact receivers with auto tuning ...china make will be cheap

Go green think green
Ethan,
Dont forget to add me as your friend

1. How does a FM radar gun work?

A FM (frequency-modulated) radar gun works by sending out a continuous radio wave signal and then receiving the reflected signal. The difference in frequency between the transmitted and received signals is used to calculate the speed of the object being measured.

2. What components are needed to build a FM radar gun?

To build a FM radar gun, you will need a radio frequency oscillator, a mixer, a low-pass filter, an amplifier, and an antenna. These components work together to transmit and receive the radio waves and calculate the speed of the object.

3. Can I build a FM radar gun without a background in electronics?

Building a FM radar gun requires a solid understanding of electronics and radio frequency principles. It is not recommended to attempt building one without prior knowledge or proper training.

4. How accurate is a homemade FM radar gun?

The accuracy of a homemade FM radar gun can vary greatly depending on the quality of the components used and the skills of the builder. It is unlikely to be as accurate as a commercially produced radar gun, which undergoes rigorous testing and calibration.

5. Are there any legal restrictions for building and using a FM radar gun?

Yes, there are legal restrictions for building and using a FM radar gun. In most countries, it is illegal to use a radar gun without proper training and certification. It is also important to check with local laws and regulations before building and using a FM radar gun.