Register to reply

Question about interacting objects

by sona1177
Tags: interacting, objects
Share this thread:
sona1177
Jul6-10, 12:59 AM
P: 173
A 1000 kg car pushes a 2000 kg truck that has a dead battery. When the driver steps on the accelerator, the drive wheels of the car push backward against the ground with a force of 4500 N.

A) what is the magnitude of the force of the car on the truck?

B) what is the magnitude of the force of the truck on the car

Before I start, I just want to make sure if I use static friction and not kinetic friction, right since tires are just rolling and not sliding?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
ehild
Jul6-10, 01:20 AM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 10,377
Use static friction. It is bad if the wheels slide at start.

ehild
sona1177
Jul6-10, 04:44 PM
I got 3000 N for both by using static friction as the friction component and drawing the force of the wheels as pointing to the right for the Free Diagram of the car. Are these assumptions that I have made valid?

Doc Al
Jul6-10, 05:58 PM
Mentor
P: 41,315
Question about interacting objects

Quote Quote by sona1177 View Post
I got 3000 N for both by using static friction as the friction component and drawing the force of the wheels as pointing to the right for the Free Diagram of the car. Are these assumptions that I have made valid?
Yes and your answers are correct. (It is most likely static friction at work--at least one hopes so. But it really doesn't matter for this problem, since you are told what the force is that the tires exert against the ground.)
sona1177
Jul6-10, 06:11 PM
Great! Thank you so much for taking the time to help me!

Register to reply