Combining Contour Plots in Gnuplot

In summary, the conversation discusses combining contour plots in gnuplot and how to set the colors for both data sets to be the same. The suggested solution is to visit a website for further information.
linford86
I'm trying to combine several contour plots together onto the same graph in gnuplot. I know that I can just do something along the lines of

splot "file1.dat" u 1:2:3 w lines, "file2.dat" u 1:2:3 w lines
set contour base
set no surface
set view 0,0

However, when I do that, the data from file1.dat has different colored contours than the data from file2.dat. Is there any way that I can force gnuplot to output both data sets with the same color?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe you can set the colors, try this website

http://t16web.lanl.gov/Kawano/gnuplot/index-e.html

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a contour plot in Gnuplot?

A contour plot in Gnuplot is a type of graph used to visualize the relationship between two variables in a three-dimensional space. It displays the contours or lines of equal values for the third variable on a two-dimensional plot.

How can I combine multiple contour plots in Gnuplot?

To combine multiple contour plots in Gnuplot, you can use the "multiplot" command. This allows you to create multiple plots within one plot window, and you can specify the layout and arrangement of the plots.

What is the syntax for combining contour plots in Gnuplot?

The syntax for combining contour plots in Gnuplot is as follows:
set multiplot
set origin x1, y1
set size x2, y2
plot "file1.dat" w l, "file2.dat" w l
unset multiplot
Where x1, y1, x2, and y2 are the coordinates and size of the plot window, and "file1.dat" and "file2.dat" are the data files for the contour plots.

Can I customize the appearance of the combined contour plots in Gnuplot?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of the combined contour plots in Gnuplot. You can change the color, line style, and thickness of the contour lines, as well as add labels, titles, and legends to the plot. You can also adjust the size and position of the plot window.

Are there any other ways to combine contour plots in Gnuplot?

Yes, there are other ways to combine contour plots in Gnuplot. You can use the "splot" command to create a three-dimensional plot, where the contours of the third variable are displayed on the surface of the plot. You can also use the "pm3d" command to create a three-dimensional plot with colored contours.