by trance_dude
Tags: expectation, function, integration, random, variable
Share this thread:
trance_dude
Jul9-10, 10:02 PM
P: 3
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hello,
have a stats question I am hoping you guys can help with. The expectation of a function g of a random variable X is:

E[g(X)] = [tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}[/tex] g(x)fx(x)dx

where fx is the pdf of X. For example, the particular expectation I am considering right now is:

E[g(X)] = [tex]\int^{-\infty}_{\infty}\frac{1}{1+ax^{2}}\cdot \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}[/tex][tex]e^{-x^{2} / 2}dx[/tex]

this form of integral (i.e. containing that particular e term) must happen often whenever one takes the expectation of a function which depends on a normal random variable. In general, what is the best approach to solve such integrals in closed form here? Integration by parts? I know that the normal curve itself must be integrated using a "trick" such as switching to polar coordinates. Integration by parts might help me isolate the e term to do so, but actually in this case I am not making much progress using that method because the other (first) term has x in the denominator. Any thoughts as to a general approach and/or to this specific problem are much appreciated. thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
What lit up the universe?
Sheepdogs use just two simple rules to round up large herds of sheep
Animals first flex their muscles
Raskolnikov
Jul10-10, 04:40 PM
P: 193
[tex]

\frac{d}{dx}[tan^{-1}(ax)] = \frac{a}{1 + a^2x^2}.

[/tex]

Also, since we have [tex] e^{-x^2/2} [/tex], we're going to want a [tex] -x [/tex] in the numerator. We can get this in a crafty sort of way by multiplying by [tex] \frac{-x}{-x} [/tex].

Can you finish from there?
Spoiler
Hint: You're going to have to do an integration by parts within an integration by parts.
trance_dude
Jul13-10, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the response. Sadly, it appears that I am still stuck. I've tried it many different ways, with and without your suggested (-x / -x) term, and keep getting infinitely recursive integration by parts. I am clearly missing something. Might I ask what you are using for "U" in each of your two integrations by parts? Thanks much.

Raskolnikov
Jul13-10, 11:18 PM
P: 193
Integration help for expectation of a function of a random variable

hmm...now that I try it fully, that integral doesn't work out. Are you sure you copied down the problem correctly? If yes, then I'm assuming there's a typo because the answer WolframAlpha is giving is:

[tex] \frac{\pi e^{\frac{1}{2a}} \ \ \ erfc(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}\sqrt{a}})}{\sqrt{a}} [/tex], where erfc(z) is the complementary error function. It exists and I've read up on its definition; however, unless your teacher has mentioned it in class yet, I doubt it's the correct answer. Most likely, there's an error the problem you stated.
trance_dude
Jul14-10, 09:54 AM
this isn't a homework problem - it's an actual equation I've encountered in a project I'm doing. Anyway, thanks for the response. The answer from Wolfram is helpful - I was getting close to a solution, I think, and perhaps that will get me to it.

Register to reply