Jul13-10, 05:45 PM
PF Gold
P: 525
You seem like you don't like cats... Got an idea, get one of those

Danger
Jul13-10, 06:02 PM
PF Gold
P: 8,964
I must admit that the picture is humourous, Drizzle, but...
KalamMekhar
Jul13-10, 06:24 PM
P: 27
Put a bit of coca cola in a very small dish (the cap preferably) and let it drink that.
Danger
Jul13-10, 07:15 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by KalamMekhar View Post
Put a bit of coca cola in a very small dish (the cap preferably) and let it drink that.
I managed to kill off my mother-in-law that way, but mice are a bit smarter.
KalamMekhar
Jul13-10, 08:05 PM
P: 27
Quote Quote by Danger View Post
I managed to kill off my mother-in-law that way, but mice are a bit smarter.
It really works on mother in laws????
TheStatutoryApe
Jul13-10, 11:01 PM
P: 1,550
Quote Quote by drizzle View Post
You seem like you don't like cats... Got an idea, get one of those

I do like cats but can't really keep one right now. I could not afford to take it to the vet or anything if it winds up getting nibbled all over by mice.

A toad may be more economical though hmmmm.....
Danger
Jul15-10, 01:58 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by TheStatutoryApe View Post
A toad may be more economical though hmmmm.....
If it's a "lickable" toad, you can kill two financial burdens with one stone.
Math Is Hard
Jul15-10, 02:14 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,923
You could hire a barn owl. There's one that hangs out in my backyard every once in a while. I'll see if I can get his card.
Jimmy Snyder
Jul15-10, 02:27 PM
P: 2,179
I live next to an abandoned house that is now home to a family of groundhogs. One of them dug under the fence and under my garage. Man they do stink. So I got one of those have a heart traps and put some tuna in there as suggested. I also covered up the holes with the dirt that had been dug out. I managed to trap the neighbor's pet cat. When I got home from work the holes were redug and the cat was just sitting there relaxed with a look on it's face that said "Good tuna, I'm ready to go home now.". I don't want to just feed the cat, so I called the wildlife dept. to find out what my options were. They said use cantalope instead of tuna. That I did, but I also refilled the holes and covered them over with bricks. The groundhogs are gone, the stink is slowly receding and the cantalope in the trap is undisturbed by cats, rats, groundhogs, squirrels, rabbits, etc.
Pattonias
Jul16-10, 08:22 AM
P: 378
Trained monkey? Think of all the problems that can be solved with a trained monkey, and all the new exciting problems that you could have with a trained monkey.
Danger
Jul16-10, 09:38 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Pattonias View Post
Trained monkey? Think of all the problems that can be solved with a trained monkey, and all the new exciting problems that you could have with a trained monkey.
I thought that I made it clear several months ago that I don't want to discuss my former marriage.
Jimmy Snyder
Jul17-10, 04:31 PM
I caught the critter (are we allowed to use that word on PF?) and took him or her (I'm in favor of women's rights for groundhogs, why should we humans have all the aggravation) to the nature preserve nearby for release. I let it go near a marsh, but it wasn't interested in water and made a beeline for the road, just going about its legal groundhog business. My experience is that they smell very bad, but I've read that they smell very good and it may be following its nose back this way. I probably should have painted its tail so I could recognize it if I caught it again. Although I don't know why I would need to know that. What am I supposed to do if I do catch it again? Paint its tail a different color?
Pattonias
Jul19-10, 08:06 AM
P: 378
Quote Quote by Jimmy Snyder View Post
I caught the critter (are we allowed to use that word on PF?) and took him or her (I'm in favor of women's rights for groundhogs, why should we humans have all the aggravation) to the nature preserve nearby for release. I let it go near a marsh, but it wasn't interested in water and made a beeline for the road, just going about its legal groundhog business. My experience is that they smell very bad, but I've read that they smell very good and it may be following its nose back this way. I probably should have painted its tail so I could recognize it if I caught it again. Although I don't know why I would need to know that. What am I supposed to do if I do catch it again? Paint its tail a different color?
I am offended by the use of the use of the derogatory word "critter" to describe Marmota Monax. For shame... and on PF of all places. And if you asked the Marmota Monax how it smelled I bet it would say "Just as I should".

Jimmy Snyder
Jul19-10, 08:49 AM
Quote Quote by Pattonias View Post
I am offended by the use of the use of the derogatory word "critter" to describe Marmota Monax. For shame... and on PF of all places. And if you asked the Marmota Monax how it smelled I bet it would say "Just as I should".

I wouldn't hesitate to derogue a ground hog and its smell, obligatory or not. However, I was concerned about the creationist angle.
Andre
Jul19-10, 09:41 AM
PF Gold
P: 5,458
Quote Quote by turbo-1 View Post
My brother-in-law makes live traps out of 5-gallon buckets. He takes an empty beer can and pierces it with a coat-hanger and suspends it over the center of the bucket. He smears the can with peanut butter and provides a board "ramp" so the mice can get close to the can. When they climb onto the can for the peanut butter, the can spins and dumps them in the bucket. It's cheap and it works.
After the scrutiny the idea got here, maybe your bro-in-law could submit it for patent #4,669,217?

Register to reply