Register to reply

FBDs of two stacked boxes?

by InvisibleMan1
Tags: boxes, fbds, stacked
Share this thread:
InvisibleMan1
Jul20-10, 09:14 PM
P: 40
To help me understand how a force is distributed over multiple connected objects, I have been trying to draw the FBDs of two stacked boxes which are sitting on the ground. I haven't been able to solve the problem however, and looking for the solution with Google did not turn up anything useful. I'm aware of Newton's third law, but I still have not been able to solve this... I'm at a loss, which is why I am posting here.

Here is an image of the problem:

One attempt at solving it using Newton's third law ended up as (what appeared to be) an infinite loop of action-and-reaction forces going up and down the stack. I tried thinking of the two objects as a single object, but that just ended in guesswork without anything real concrete.

What would the FBD of A and the FBD of B look like, with all involved forces?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
nonequilibrium
Jul20-10, 09:38 PM
P: 1,417
So A and B each feel a gravitational force (also resultant in reactionate forces meaning you have to draw two upward vectors in the earth's core, but i think we're ignoring them here). Since A is not moving, it has to experience an equal (in magnitude) force upward: this can only come from B, and this force's reactionate brother is the force B experiences from A, the latter obviously pushing down. This force makes B extra heavy and thus the ground under B must deliver a force not only for B itself, but also the load B is carrying (this is indirectly what allows B to hold A up in its place). This last force from the ground to B also has a reactionate brother pushing from the blocks onto the ground (which is the force that would make for a weighing scale placed under B to react)

I hope this helps?
InvisibleMan1
Jul21-10, 12:30 AM
P: 40
That solved the problem, thanks :)

Register to reply