When do you use 1 mol = 22.4 L and 1 mol = 24 L?

• Thread starter chemistry4all
  • Start date
In summary, 1 mol = 22.4 L is used when dealing with ideal gases at STP (1 atm and 273K), while 1 mol = 24 L is used when dealing with ideal gases at room temperature (293K). It is important to note the difference and use the appropriate conversion factor depending on the given conditions.
chemistry4all

Homework Statement

When do you use 1 mol = 22.4 L and 1 mol = 24 L?

I have a test coming up and would like to clarify this.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that 1 mol = 22.4 L of any ideal gas at STP mean 1atm at (273K) I understand this. But what about 1 mol = 24 L. Would I use this as a conversion factor is STP or ideal gas is not mentioned? I found out that the 24 L in 1 mol is for room temperature. Can anyone check my information? Am I correct? If not not can you please explain thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
If 1mol is 22.4 L at 273K then it will be 24L at 273K * 24/22.4 = 293K = 20deg C = room temp

1. What does the number 22.4 represent in the equation 1 mol = 22.4 L?

The number 22.4 represents the molar volume of an ideal gas at standard temperature and pressure (STP). This means that at 0 degrees Celsius and 1 atmosphere of pressure, 1 mole of any ideal gas occupies a volume of 22.4 liters.

2. Why is the number 22.4 used in the equation 1 mol = 22.4 L?

The number 22.4 is based on the ideal gas law, which states that the volume of an ideal gas is directly proportional to its number of moles at constant temperature and pressure. Therefore, at STP, 1 mole of any ideal gas will occupy a volume of 22.4 liters.

3. When do you use the equation 1 mol = 22.4 L?

This equation is used for converting between moles and volume of an ideal gas at standard temperature and pressure. It can also be used to calculate the volume of a gas produced or consumed in a chemical reaction at STP.

4. What is the significance of the number 24 in the equation 1 mol = 24 L?

The number 24 represents the molar volume of a gas at standard ambient temperature and pressure (SATP). This means that at 25 degrees Celsius and 1 atmosphere of pressure, 1 mole of any gas will occupy a volume of 24 liters. It is a slightly higher value than the 22.4 used for STP, as the temperature is higher.

5. When do you use the equation 1 mol = 24 L?

This equation is used for converting between moles and volume of a gas at standard ambient temperature and pressure. It can also be used to calculate the volume of a gas produced or consumed in a chemical reaction at SATP.