Register to reply

Heatsink Recommendations for xp-3000

Share this thread:
dink
Sep6-04, 04:14 AM
P: 31
Having problems with stability on new xp-3000. I just realized my cpu is cruising at a 'cool' 75 C. Fan I'm using is a YSTech something or other 47 CFM. I figure the fan is fine thinking 47 CFM is quite high. Any ideas for heatsink? Right now I'm using a boxed aluminum heatsink from a 1.3 amd. Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
An interesting glimpse into how future state-of-the-art electronics might work
Tissue regeneration using anti-inflammatory nanomolecules
C2D2 fighting corrosion
hitssquad
Sep6-04, 04:39 AM
P: 1,382
Before you change it, have you tried lapping it? A very thin layer of arctic silver might help, too. For extreme air cooling, the Thermaltake Extreme Volcano 12 fan/heatsink combo gets a lot of rave customer reviews.
Greg Bernhardt
Sep6-04, 02:08 PM
Admin
P: 9,491
Swiftech MCX462-V with a high cfm 92mm fan.

The whole volcano line isn't that good. Don't even consider it.

Artman
Sep8-04, 09:50 AM
P: 1,591
Heatsink Recommendations for xp-3000

Do you have any case fans? If you are relying solely on your CPU and power supply fans, you may be recirculating hot air. Try adding a case fan. Make sure the computer has room in the front and back to allow for air movement (don't hide it in an unventilated cabinet).

Did you use a tape on the CPU to heatsink connection? Arctic Silver is good, but any thermal paste will work better than a tape.
Greg Bernhardt
Sep8-04, 01:48 PM
Admin
P: 9,491
Agreed, you need case fans and Arctic Silver is just a must.
dink
Sep10-04, 02:51 AM
P: 31
Thanks for the replies, ended up going with swiftech and artic silver. Averaging 60C. As to case fans, I have so many I had to get a 450W Enermax. I have an 80mm in back just under PSU pulling hot air out, two side mounted 80mm's blowing over graphics card and motherboard, and a 120 mm blower upfront at the base. The PSU also contributes to pulling out hot air. I may need another fan perhaps cut into the top of case to pull more hot air out. But it would seem adequate as it is. Once again, thanks for your replies.
Artman
Sep10-04, 08:19 AM
P: 1,591
Quote Quote by dink
Thanks for the replies, ended up going with swiftech and artic silver. Averaging 60C. As to case fans, I have so many I had to get a 450W Enermax. I have an 80mm in back just under PSU pulling hot air out, two side mounted 80mm's blowing over graphics card and motherboard, and a 120 mm blower upfront at the base. The PSU also contributes to pulling out hot air. I may need another fan perhaps cut into the top of case to pull more hot air out. But it would seem adequate as it is. Once again, thanks for your replies.
As long as the space around the case is pretty well ventilated or open, I think you should be moving enough air in and out of the case.

Register to reply