Analytical Mechanics: An Introduction

by d.zanellato
Tags: analytical, introduction, mechanics
Share this thread:
d.zanellato
Aug1-10, 05:01 PM
P: 6
Hello.

Someone knows the book: "Analytical Mechanics: An Introduction" by Antonio Fasano, S. Marmi?
Is this a good book on mechanics?

Thank you.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New type of solar concentrator desn't block the view
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Asian inventions dominate energy storage systems
Ed Aboud
Sep2-10, 05:43 PM
P: 201
Bump

Any recommendations for a text which provides an introduction to Lagrangian mechanics and continues on to Hamiltonian mechanics?
d.zanellato
Sep8-10, 08:06 AM
P: 6
Quote Quote by Ed Aboud View Post
Bump

Any recommendations for a text which provides an introduction to Lagrangian mechanics and continues on to Hamiltonian mechanics?

The classical reference is "Classical Mechanics" by Herbert Goldstein.
In my course on Analytical Mechanics, here in Brazil, I used "Mecânica Analítica" by Nivaldo Lemos. It is very similar to Goldstein's book.

For a more geometric approach: "Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics", by V. I. Arnold or, for a more smooth transition, "Classical Dynamics: A Contemporary Approach" by José & Saletan.

Arnold's book will be my next fun :)

Llewlyn
Sep9-10, 06:26 PM
P: 68
Analytical Mechanics: An Introduction

The Fasano-Marmi was my textbook during undergraduate studies -- I covered almost the whole book in two courses. To me it definitely doesn't seem a book for rookies: the part on hamiltonian dynamic is rather abstract though I enjoyed much the exposition. I eventually recommend for a course in basic mechanics, Lagrangian and Hamiltonian. Avoid the chapter on continuous mechanic and ergodic theory -- the book wants to cover lots of different topics though only fundamental theories are exhaustive and well-made. If you are Italian, you might want to take a look to "Meccanica" by Gallavotti too.

Ll.

Register to reply