Can a cellphone in your pocket cause cancer?

• Medical
  • Thread starter DeuteriumDude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cancer Cause
In summary, the current consensus is that wireless phone use does not increase the risk of developing cancer, but there is no proof that it does not. There is also no proof that cell phone use decreases the risk of developing cancer.
DeuteriumDude
My mother has suggested that I quit carrying my cellphone in my pocket, because having it sit there all day by my leg could lead to a tumor. I can't say how plausible this is, so what better place to ask than PF? Again, my question is whether merely carrying your phone in your pocket could cause cancer. Thanks!

Biology news on Phys.org
DeuteriumDude said:
My mother has suggested that I quit carrying my cellphone in my pocket, because having it sit there all day by my leg could lead to a tumor. I can't say how plausible this is, so what better place to ask than PF? Again, my question is whether merely carrying your phone in your pocket could cause cancer. Thanks!
The answer is no.

Thanks! So is it just not enough rems to do significant damage? I believe you, I'd just like to be able to explain to people why it's not dangerous.

Evo said:
The answer is no.

We don't dispense medical advice here because of the liability issues. In a similar vein, are you sure you're comfortable taking responsibilty for DeuteriumDude's health?

I suppose this could be generalized and bumped to Feedback Forums.

DaveC426913 said:
We don't dispense medical advice here because of the liability issues. In a similar vein, are you sure you're comfortable taking responsibilty for DeuteriumDude's health?

I suppose this could be generalized and bumped to Feedback Forums.

The answer is still no.

DaveC426913 said:
You're right. Ok, here's the current official consensus on wireless and cordless use.

HOW SAFE ARE MOBILE AND PORTABLE PHONES?

In recent years, publicity, speculation, and concern over claims of possible health effects due to RF emissions from hand-held wireless telephones prompted various research programs to investigate whether there is any risk to users of these devices There is no scientific evidence to date that proves that wireless phone usage can lead to cancer or a variety of other health effects, including headaches, dizziness or memory loss. However, studies are ongoing and key government agencies, such as the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) continue to monitor the results of the latest scientific research on these topics. Also, as noted above, the World Health Organization has established an ongoing program to monitor research in this area and make recommendations related to the safety of mobile phones.

The FDA, which has primary jurisdiction for investigating mobile phone safety, has stated that it cannot rule out the possibility of risk, but if such a risk exists, "it is probably small." Further, it has stated that, while there is no proof that cellular telephones can be harmful, concerned individuals can take various precautionary actions, including limiting conversations on hand-held cellular telephones and making greater use of telephones with hands-free kits where there is a greater separation distance between the user and the radiating antenna. The Web site for the FDA's Center for Devices and Radiological Health provides further information on mobile phone safety: www.fda.gov/cellphones/[/URL]. [/quote]

[URL]http://www.fcc.gov/oet/rfsafety/rf-faqs.html[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
To date there is no scientifically published research that definitively proves that cell phone use increases the risk of developing a tumor.

Thanks everyone. Hope I haven't started an argument. I know now that there isn't much empirical evidence that cellphones can cause cancer. But I guess when I first posted this, I was thinking someone might happen to know how to calculate the radiation in rad or rem and be able to show that either this amount is harmful or is not harmful.

I appreciate Evo's response, and don't worry, I certainly take responsibility for my own health.

Since science does not deal in absolutes nor proofs of negatives, this standard disclaimer should always be assumed to apply, without the need to always repeat it.

DeuteriumDude said:
Thanks everyone. Hope I haven't started an argument. I know now that there isn't much empirical evidence that cellphones can cause cancer. But I guess when I first posted this, I was thinking someone might happen to know how to calculate the radiation in rad or rem and be able to show that either this amount is harmful or is not harmful.

I appreciate Evo's response, and don't worry, I certainly take responsibility for my own health.
There is a lot of information at the link I posted. You might find what you are looking for. Jut start at the top.

To date there is no published scientific research that proves that cell phone use decreases the risk of developing a tumor.

CRGreathouse said:
To date there is no published scientific research that proves that cell phone use decreases the risk of developing a tumor.

That's an interesting way to put it! (Bold type mine.)

1. Can a cellphone in my pocket really cause cancer?

There is currently no conclusive scientific evidence that links cellphone use to cancer. While some studies have shown a slight increase in the risk of certain types of cancer, such as brain tumors, the results have been inconclusive and conflicting. More research is needed in this area to fully understand the potential risks of cellphone use.

2. How does a cellphone in my pocket potentially cause cancer?

The radiofrequency (RF) radiation emitted by cellphones is often cited as a potential cause of cancer. This type of radiation is a form of non-ionizing radiation, which means it does not have enough energy to damage DNA and cause cancer. However, some studies have shown that RF radiation can increase the temperature of the tissues in the body, which could potentially lead to cellular damage and an increased risk of cancer. Further research is needed to determine the true effects of RF radiation on the body.

3. Are some cellphones more likely to cause cancer than others?

All cellphones emit some level of RF radiation, so there is no way to completely avoid exposure. However, some phones may emit more radiation than others. The specific absorption rate (SAR) is a measure of how much RF radiation is absorbed by the body from a cellphone. You can find the SAR value for your phone on the manufacturer's website or in the user manual. Generally, the lower the SAR value, the lower the potential risk of radiation exposure.

4. Is it safer to use hands-free devices or speakerphone instead of holding my phone to my ear?

Using hands-free devices or speakerphone can help reduce the amount of RF radiation exposure to the head and brain. However, it is important to note that these devices still emit RF radiation and may not completely eliminate the risk. The best way to reduce exposure is to limit the amount of time spent on your cellphone and keep it at a safe distance from your body when not in use.

5. Should I be concerned about other health effects from cellphone use?

In addition to cancer, there have been concerns about other potential health effects from cellphone use, such as headaches, sleep disturbances, and cognitive impairment. However, there is currently no conclusive evidence to support these claims. It is always a good idea to use caution and limit your exposure to cellphones, but there is no need to panic or avoid using your phone altogether.