Integrating tan(x): Solving the Absolute Value Puzzle

In summary, the integral of tanx is -ln|cosx| + C. The absolute value sign is needed in order to gain the proper integral value of the function \frac{1}{x} on intervals where x<0.
Omid
Today I was reading my favorite calculus textbook, that saw the integration formula for tan(x).
It was : Integral of tan(x) = -ln|cosx| + C .

I know that when we say integral of tanx we mean, what is the function whose derivative is tanx. So started to take the derivative of -ln |cosx|, in order to prove the formula. But what could I do with the absolute value sign ? I just ignored it and took the derivative. It worked and I arrived at the answer, tan(x). Now there are 2 questions. 1. why is the sign there anymore? 2. what is the right approach while taking derivative of functions involving absolute value sign? Do we ignore them always, as I did in this case ?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Real values integrate to real values, so if we didn't have the modulus symbol we would be taking the natural logarithm of a negative number when [itex]\cos x < 0[/itex].

Anyway you do know to integrate [itex]\tan x[/itex] you just just write it as [tex]\frac{\sin x}{\cos x}[/tex]?

The absolute value sign is needed in order to gain the proper integral value of the function [tex]\frac{1}{x}[/tex] on intervals where x<0
(Remember, you can't find the natural logarithm of a negative real number among the reals!)
To illustrate:
Given x>0, we may show that a proper anti-derivative is ln(x).
For example,
[tex]\int_{a}^{b}\frac{1}{x}dx=ln(b)-ln(a)=ln(|b|)-ln(|a|)(a,b>0)[/tex]

Let's consider:
[tex]\int_{-b}^{-a}\frac{1}{x}dx[/tex]
Let us make the substitution t=-x:
[tex]\int_{-b}^{-a}\frac{1}{x}dx=\int_{b}^{a}\frac{1}{t}dt=-\int_{a}^{b}\frac{1}{t}dt=-\frac{ln(b)}{ln(a)}[/tex]

Or, further:
[tex]=-\frac{ln(b)}{ln(a)}=\frac{ln(a)}{ln(b)}=ln(|-a|)-ln(|-b|)[/tex]

Hence, we see that a proper anti-derivative valid for both x greater and less than zero is ln|x|

1. What is the absolute value puzzle in integrating tan(x)?

The absolute value puzzle in integrating tan(x) refers to the discontinuity in the graph of the tangent function, specifically when x is equal to n*pi/2 (where n is an integer). This leads to the need for multiple cases when integrating the function.

2. Why is it important to understand how to integrate tan(x)?

Integrating tan(x) is important in many mathematical and scientific applications, especially in physics and engineering. It is also a fundamental concept in calculus and understanding it can help in solving more complex integration problems.

3. What are the different cases to consider when integrating tan(x)?

There are three cases to consider when integrating tan(x): when x is not equal to n*pi/2, when x is equal to n*pi/2 and n is even, and when x is equal to n*pi/2 and n is odd. Each case requires a different approach in integration to account for the discontinuity in the graph.

4. How do you solve the absolute value puzzle in integrating tan(x)?

To solve the absolute value puzzle in integrating tan(x), you must first identify which case applies to the given problem. Then, you can apply the appropriate integration technique, such as substitution or integration by parts, to solve the integral. It is important to be careful and precise in handling the discontinuity in the graph.

5. What are some tips for successfully integrating tan(x)?

Some tips for successfully integrating tan(x) include being familiar with the trigonometric identities and rules for handling absolute values, carefully considering the different cases, and practicing with various examples to improve understanding and proficiency in integration.