Register to reply

Find Range, no need for calculus for this equation, lies...? Question on notation to

by GreenPrint
Tags: calculus, equation, lies, notation, range
Share this thread:
Mark44
Aug12-10, 09:31 AM
Mentor
P: 21,304
Quote Quote by GreenPrint View Post

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

um this would make sense but unlike what I've been told they actually overlap? That's waht it looks like to me
The reals are a one-dimensional subset of the complex numbers. The horizontal axis of the complex plane consists of the real numbers. You should not have a circle for the reals.
Mark44
Aug12-10, 09:49 AM
Mentor
Quote Quote by GreenPrint View Post
i think i figuered out how to divide by zero!!!!!!!!.... hmmm remarkable...
Why don't you give people an opportunity to respond to your original question? By my count, you posted your question and 12 additional posts within less than 3 hours.

The title of your post is "Find Range, no need for calculus for this equation", yet you jumped right in and found the derivative of the function. ehild reports that this work is correct, but it isn't relevant to this problem, nor is any of what you did with complex numbers.

All you need to do is FIND THE RANGE of the given function. To do that, set (3x - 1)/(2x2 + x - 6) = y, and solve for x.

If the equation can be solved for x for any given (and real) y, the range of the function is all real numbers.
GreenPrint
Aug12-10, 10:14 AM
P: 1,184
Quote Quote by Mark44 View Post
Why don't you give people an opportunity to respond to your original question? By my count, you posted your question and 12 additional posts within less than 3 hours.

The title of your post is "Find Range, no need for calculus for this equation", yet you jumped right in and found the derivative of the function. ehild reports that this work is correct, but it isn't relevant to this problem, nor is any of what you did with complex numbers.

All you need to do is FIND THE RANGE of the given function. To do that, set (3x - 1)/(2x2 + x - 6) = y, and solve for x.

If the equation can be solved for x for any given (and real) y, the range of the function is all real numbers.
=( excuse my stupidity lol... I don't buy that there are no critical points... but fine I said ok :O
Mark44
Aug12-10, 01:56 PM
Mentor
Whether there are critical points might be interesting, but seems to be irrelevant to this problem, if the thread title is any indication.

Register to reply