Open/Close doors to cooling the house?

by hermtm2
Tags: cooling, doors, house, open or close
Share this thread:
hermtm2
Aug24-10, 10:11 AM
P: 39
Hello.

I live in a house which has 4 bed rooms on second floor and living room and kitchen are on the first floor. The house has a central heating/cooling system.

At the last night my roommate asked me to open all doors on each room including bath rooms when I leave the house. She thinks that it will drop a temperature of inside house other than closing all doors becuase all cool air (in Summer) from each ceilling on the rooms will circulate to the entire house. I simply agreed with her at last night.

However I begin to doubt about her hypothsis because it could lose all cooled air in each room when all doors were closed. As long as I cannot prove a fault of the hypothsis, the door in my room has to be opened.

Thanks.

(If I post a wrong subjuct, please move or let me know)
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
'Comb on a chip' powers new atomic clock design
Quantum leap in lasers brightens future for quantum computing
Enhanced NIST instrument enables high-speed chemical imaging of tissues
DaveC426913
Aug24-10, 10:18 AM
P: 15,319
One question: prior to opening the doors and windows, is the house, in fact, warmer than the outdoors, or is it cooler?
hermtm2
Aug24-10, 10:25 AM
Usually inside is cooler than outside because A/C is on and all the windows are closed. I meat the doors of all rooms inside my house. Sorry to such a unclear statment.

DaveC426913
Aug24-10, 10:40 AM
Open/Close doors to cooling the house?

Quote Quote by hermtm2 View Post
Usually inside is cooler than outside because A/C is on and all the windows are closed. I meat the doors of all rooms inside my house. Sorry to such a unclear statment.
Next question: your roommate knows it is cool inside the house because the A/C is on, and it is warm outside. Why does she think that opening the doors and windows of a cool house to the warm outdoors will "extra-cool" the house?

I'm going to guess there's more to this situation. Is it possible that she wants to be able to run the A/C only part of the time and the rest of the time let the house stay cool naturally?
hermtm2
Aug24-10, 10:46 AM
No... When A/C is on and all windowns are closed, the cool air circulates in the house. In that condition, if all doors are closed on each room, the cool air remains in each room. However if their doors open, the air can circulates to the house as her theory. Usually the house is little warmmer than each room when the door is closed.
DaveC426913
Aug24-10, 11:20 AM
No... When A/C is on and all windowns are closed, the cool air circulates in the house. In that condition, if all doors are closed on each room, the cool air remains in each room. However if their doors open, the air can circulates to the house as her theory. Usually the house is little warmmer than each room when the door is closed.
OK, let me see if I understand. The bedrooms have A/C vents, but the larger common areas of the house do not? With all doors closed, the bedrooms stay cool while the main areas stay warm?

Her plan is to let the cool air in the bedrooms flow into the main areas?

Sounds reasonable.
Ranger Mike
Aug24-10, 11:23 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,452
i suggest you borrow a couple thermometers and place them down stairs and u p stairs, and do as she asks..be sure to record the temperature .. then do the a/c thing and record the temps and show her...
hermtm2
Aug24-10, 11:28 AM
Almost, but the living room and kitchen have A/C vents and work as much as the room ones. As I mentioned, we have a (normal) centual heating/cooling system which controls the temperature in my house. Even though the 1st floor has vents but there are still warmer than individual room when the doors are closed.
DaveC426913
Aug24-10, 11:38 AM
Almost, but the living room and kitchen have A/C vents and work as much as the room ones. As I mentioned, we have a (normal) centual heating/cooling system which controls the temperature in my house. Even though the 1st floor has vents but there are still warmer than individual room when the doors are closed.
Sure that makes sense. A small bedroom with only one door and one window will more effectively retain its temperature than a large room with large windows, possibly open doors to other rooms, and people coming and going often.

So, now that I think I understand the arrangment, what exactly is the conflict between you two? She wants to cool the whole house, rather than leave the common rooms warm and the bedrooms freezing. Are you satisifed to have your bedroom cold at the expense of a warmer common area?

Is sounds like you both have solid logic, the conflict is simply about living preference.
Ranger Mike
Aug24-10, 11:43 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,452
good advice ...i revised my input upon refelction of wise advice from dave

Register to reply