Spread spectrum clock generator

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of spread spectrum clock generation and its potential impact on data transfer and CPU speed. The participants express doubts about its effectiveness in digital circuits and question its similarity to jitter. They also mention its potential benefits in reducing interference during testing.
likephysics
I was reading an article on spread spectrum clock generator here - http://www.maxim-ic.com/app-notes/index.mvp/id/1995
Wouldn't spreading the frequency from the center frequency affect the data transfer?
In case of a CPU, the speed would vary too.
I understand spread spectrum in communication, but I'm having a hard time convincing myself this would work in digital circuits.
Isn't this somewhat equivalent to jitter?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Usually, the system clock is fluctuated, and all the peices of the system run off the same clock. Therefore, they're all synched and the clock jumps about enough that the test facility gets a lower reading when performing interference tests.
The emission power is the same, it's just spread about so that less shows up within any narrow bandwidth.

1. What is a spread spectrum clock generator (SSCG)?

A spread spectrum clock generator is a type of electronic circuit that is used to generate a clock signal for digital devices. It works by spreading the clock frequency over a wider range, which helps to reduce electromagnetic interference (EMI) and improve system performance.

2. How does a SSCG reduce EMI?

A SSCG spreads the clock signal over a wider frequency range, which helps to reduce the peak amplitude of the signal. This reduction in amplitude results in lower levels of EMI, making it ideal for use in sensitive electronic devices.

3. Can SSCGs be used in wireless communication systems?

Yes, SSCGs are commonly used in wireless communication systems, particularly in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth devices. The spread spectrum technique helps to improve the signal integrity and range of the wireless communication.

4. Are there different types of SSCGs?

Yes, there are various types of SSCGs, including direct sequence spread spectrum (DSSS), frequency hopping spread spectrum (FHSS), and hybrid spread spectrum. Each type has its own advantages and is used in different applications.

5. What are the benefits of using a SSCG?

The main benefit of using a SSCG is that it helps to reduce EMI, which can improve the overall performance and reliability of electronic systems. It also allows for more efficient use of the available frequency spectrum, making it a popular choice for wireless communication applications.