Problem involving ratios to find the length of a shadow

by overhorizon
Tags: involving, length, ratios, shadow
Share this thread:
overhorizon
Aug26-10, 04:00 PM
P: 1
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
The shadow cast by a vertical pillar in Alexandria at noon during the summer solstice is found to be 1/8 the height of the pillar. The distance between Alexandria and Syene is 1/8 the Earth's radius. Is there a geometric connection between these two 1-to-8 ratios?

I already solved this problem. However, there is another part of the problem:

If Earth were smaller than it is, would the shadow of the vertical pillar in Alexandria have been longer or shorter at noon during the summer solstice?

2. Relevant equations
Just a ratio I used to solve the first part.

Pole shadow/Pole height = Alexandria and Syene distance / Earth radius

3. The attempt at a solution

I said the shadow would grow shorter. Since the Earth would be smaller, the distance between Alexandria and Syene would also be smaller. And due to it being a ratio, this would also effect the shadow.

However, I am really not certain of my answer and do not know how I could verify it or if I am correct.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Fungus deadly to AIDS patients found to grow on trees
Canola genome sequence reveals evolutionary 'love triangle'
Scientists uncover clues to role of magnetism in iron-based superconductors
presbyope
Aug27-10, 04:38 PM
PF Gold
P: 44
Quote Quote by overhorizon View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
The shadow cast by a vertical pillar in Alexandria at noon during the summer solstice is found to be 1/8 the height of the pillar. The distance between Alexandria and Syene is 1/8 the Earth's radius. Is there a geometric connection between these two 1-to-8 ratios?

I already solved this problem. However, there is another part of the problem:

If Earth were smaller than it is, would the shadow of the vertical pillar in Alexandria have been longer or shorter at noon during the summer solstice?

2. Relevant equations
Just a ratio I used to solve the first part.

Pole shadow/Pole height = Alexandria and Syene distance / Earth radius

3. The attempt at a solution

I said the shadow would grow shorter. Since the Earth would be smaller, the distance between Alexandria and Syene would also be smaller. And due to it being a ratio, this would also effect the shadow.

However, I am really not certain of my answer and do not know how I could verify it or if I am correct.
You forgot to tell us what Syene has to do with the problem. Is there a shadow there? But yes, on a smaller planet Alexandria would be closer to the equator and would have a smaller shadow.

EDIT: Oops I meant the tropic not the equator. Obviously Syene is on the tropic of cancer south of Alexandria. So there is no shadow there right?

Register to reply