Register to reply

Oxidation state of TiO2?

by Widow
Tags: oxidation, state, tio2
Share this thread:
Widow
Aug29-10, 08:58 PM
P: 4
Hi there! I have a quick question that could use some clarification. According to my textbook, an oxygen atom has an oxidation state of -1 when in the polyatomic ion peroxide, although it's -2 in most other cases. However, I've come across this problem where it asks for the oxidation state of Ti in the compound TiO2. I figured it was +2 since each oxygen atom carries an oxidation state of -1 (because it's a peroxide) and -1(2) is -2, so Ti must have an oxidation state of +2, right? But then when I try to ease my qualms, every single post on the Internet points toward an oxidation state of +4. I don't understand! Is this titanium peroxide or titanium dioxide? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Moving single cells around?accurately and cheaply
Laser optical tweezers reveal how malaria parasites infect red blood cells (w/ Video)
The difficult question of Clostridium difficile
~christina~
Aug29-10, 10:34 PM
PF Gold
P: 824
Quote Quote by Widow View Post
Hi there! I have a quick question that could use some clarification. According to my textbook, an oxygen atom has an oxidation state of -1 when in the polyatomic ion peroxide, although it's -2 in most other cases. However, I've come across this problem where it asks for the oxidation state of Ti in the compound TiO2. I figured it was +2 since each oxygen atom carries an oxidation state of -1 (because it's a peroxide) and -1(2) is -2, so Ti must have an oxidation state of +2, right? But then when I try to ease my qualms, every single post on the Internet points toward an oxidation state of +4. I don't understand! Is this titanium peroxide or titanium dioxide? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Peroxides technically have the oxygens bonded to each other. TiO2 is titanium dioxide. It has a oxidation state of +4 because the two oxygens are not bonded to each other and each have an oxidation state of -2. (Two oxygens each having -2 state vs. peroxide oxygen which has O2 (-2) state)
Borek
Aug30-10, 02:47 AM
Admin
P: 23,533
Tina already answered your question correctly. The simplest and shortest answer is: TiO2 is not a peroxide.

Widow
Aug30-10, 08:19 AM
P: 4
Oxidation state of TiO2?

Thank you so much! :)

Register to reply