Register to reply

Oxidation state of TiO2?

by Widow
Tags: oxidation, state, tio2
Share this thread:
Widow
Aug29-10, 08:58 PM
P: 4
Hi there! I have a quick question that could use some clarification. According to my textbook, an oxygen atom has an oxidation state of -1 when in the polyatomic ion peroxide, although it's -2 in most other cases. However, I've come across this problem where it asks for the oxidation state of Ti in the compound TiO2. I figured it was +2 since each oxygen atom carries an oxidation state of -1 (because it's a peroxide) and -1(2) is -2, so Ti must have an oxidation state of +2, right? But then when I try to ease my qualms, every single post on the Internet points toward an oxidation state of +4. I don't understand! Is this titanium peroxide or titanium dioxide? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
New molecule puts scientists a step closer to understanding hydrogen storage
Chemists develop new formulation for the generation of green flames
Four billion-year-old chemistry in cells today
~christina~
Aug29-10, 10:34 PM
PF Gold
P: 824
Quote Quote by Widow View Post
Hi there! I have a quick question that could use some clarification. According to my textbook, an oxygen atom has an oxidation state of -1 when in the polyatomic ion peroxide, although it's -2 in most other cases. However, I've come across this problem where it asks for the oxidation state of Ti in the compound TiO2. I figured it was +2 since each oxygen atom carries an oxidation state of -1 (because it's a peroxide) and -1(2) is -2, so Ti must have an oxidation state of +2, right? But then when I try to ease my qualms, every single post on the Internet points toward an oxidation state of +4. I don't understand! Is this titanium peroxide or titanium dioxide? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Peroxides technically have the oxygens bonded to each other. TiO2 is titanium dioxide. It has a oxidation state of +4 because the two oxygens are not bonded to each other and each have an oxidation state of -2. (Two oxygens each having -2 state vs. peroxide oxygen which has O2 (-2) state)
Borek
Aug30-10, 02:47 AM
Admin
P: 23,369
Tina already answered your question correctly. The simplest and shortest answer is: TiO2 is not a peroxide.

Widow
Aug30-10, 08:19 AM
P: 4
Oxidation state of TiO2?

Thank you so much! :)

Register to reply