Register to reply

There are tiny bugs flying around my sink

by Newai
Tags: bugs, flying, sink, tiny
Share this thread:
Newai
Sep3-10, 09:15 PM
P: 107
Tiny little buggers. Sometimes one will float in front of my monitor here. A little annoying, but they don't bite and pretty much stay away from me. And they like wine. They really like wine.

So, I put a strip of fly paper over the sink. Most of them are eventually crushed by the adhesive over a period of days, but I've never seen one actually walk up the strip before.

I also bought some glue boxes for the creepy crawlies. Caught a nasty-ugly looking spider one morning. When I came home, it's opisthosoma was gone! I figure another resident came by and had some lunch. Can't imagine what it must've been like to be stuck to a box while some other arachnid is munching on your behind. Eek.

I'm also catching a lot of pseudoscorpions. Not what I really want to happen, but I just can't seem to catch up with the pests in here. Sprayed, too.

Anyway, anyone have an idea what those flying bugs might be? I'm in NE U.S. They don't look like the gnats I found in Google images. Their eyes are bright red.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Mysterious source of ozone-depleting chemical baffles NASA
Water leads to chemical that gunks up biofuels production
How lizards regenerate their tails: Researchers discover genetic 'recipe'
lisab
Sep3-10, 09:29 PM
Mentor
P: 2,985
Sounds like you've got a bad case of drosophila...fruit flies. Oh yes, they looooove wine !
Evo
Sep3-10, 09:30 PM
Mentor
P: 26,523
I'm going to have nightmares tonight.

turbo
Sep3-10, 09:32 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
There are tiny bugs flying around my sink

They are fruit flies and almost impossible to kill. Whah!!!!
Math Is Hard
Sep3-10, 09:32 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,922
Quote Quote by Newai View Post
Their eyes are bright red.
Could be all that wine.
Newai
Sep3-10, 09:35 PM
Quote Quote by lisab View Post
Sounds like you've got a bad case of drosophila...fruit flies. Oh yes, they looooove wine !
Images in Google are an exact match. Thanks!

hehe, Wiki reads that they are also called wine flies.

And you are all funny!
turbo
Sep3-10, 09:36 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Quote Quote by Math Is Hard View Post
Could be all that wine.
Newai
Sep3-10, 09:39 PM
Wiki: "Males of this genus are known to have the longest sperm cells of any organism on Earth, including one species, Drosophila bifurca, that has sperm 58 mm (2.3 in) long."

OMG
lisab
Sep3-10, 09:45 PM
Mentor
Wiki: "Males of this genus are known to have the longest sperm cells of any organism on Earth, including one species, Drosophila bifurca, that has sperm 58 mm (2.3 in) long."

OMG
Whoooooa, the pix are...just, wow! How does that even work? I mean, how does that sperm get anywhere?!?
lisab
Sep3-10, 09:53 PM
Mentor
Here's an interesting article about that particular species...

http://www.livescience.com/animals/0...big_sperm.html

...the female bodies of many species are not passive arenas within which sperm compete, but more like obstacle courses, with hurdles and defenses in place...
In D. bifurca, the female reproductive tract is just slightly longer than the sperm that swim through it.

"It looks like a giant slinky filling her abdomen," Bjork told LiveScience.
Newai
Sep3-10, 09:53 PM
I don't even know how to imagine fruit fly sex, particularly with that!

And sounds like a future mix drink.
Proton Soup
Sep3-10, 10:06 PM
P: 1,070
Quote Quote by turbo-1 View Post
They are fruit flies and almost impossible to kill. Whah!!!!
i found a way. they are not the least bit interested in flypaper. really luck of the draw if you hang a strip. but... they love banana. and you can dab little bits of banana on the flypaper. and they will land, and walk about, eventually getting stuck on the paper. so just bait it with something they like. still hard to get them all, but it gets you moving in that direction.

oh, and don't forget to throw out all your bananas, too.
Newai
Sep3-10, 10:06 PM
Quote Quote by Proton Soup View Post
i found a way. they are not the least bit interested in flypaper. really luck of the draw if you hang a strip. but... they love banana. and you can dab little bits of banana on the flypaper. and they will land, and walk about, eventually getting stuck on the paper. so just bait it with something they like. still hard to get them all, but it gets you moving in that direction.

oh, and don't forget to throw out all your bananas, too.
My fly paper is covered with them.
Proton Soup
Sep3-10, 10:09 PM
you are lucky, then. turned their noses up at mine.
stevenb
Sep3-10, 10:11 PM
P: 697
I did a little project with my niece and nephew. We make little traps out of cups and paper funnels. Fill the cup (glass is good so you can look in) with wine, or fruit, and then tape a paper funnel over the top of the cup. The funnel can be made by rolling a piece of paper, taping it, and making a tiny hole by snipping the end with sissors. The flies can easily fly into the funnel as they go from wide to narrow, drawn in by the odor, but coming out is another matter. Then you just let them go outside.
lisab
Sep3-10, 10:17 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by stevenb View Post
I did a little project with my niece and nephew. We make little traps out of cups and paper funnels. Fill the cup (glass is good so you can look in) with wine, or fruit, and then tape a paper funnel over the top of the cup. The funnel can be made by rolling a piece of paper, taping it, and making a tiny hole by snipping the end with sissors. The flies can easily fly into the funnel as they go from wide to narrow, drawn in by the odor, but coming out is another matter. Then you just let them go outside.
I've done that exact same thing, it works!
stevenb
Sep3-10, 10:19 PM
P: 697
Yes, fun for the kids too, and me as well, I must confess.
Proton Soup
Sep3-10, 10:21 PM
yes, but then they get to live.

Register to reply