Register to reply

How do you calculate a force of a object that is not accelerating

by assuredlonewo
Tags: accelerating, force, object
Share this thread:
assuredlonewo
Sep6-10, 05:31 PM
P: 15
I would like to know how to calculate the force of an object that is not accelerating, for example, If I were push on a wall, neither me or the wall would move because the net force would be zero, but how would I calculate the force if I am trying to put on the wall.(I do not want the net force)
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New approach to form non-equilibrium structures
Nike krypton laser achieves spot in Guinness World Records
Unleashing the power of quantum dot triplets
russ_watters
Sep6-10, 05:50 PM
Mentor
P: 22,234
Welcome to PF.

Sometimes that type of force can be calculated (like the force between a book and a table on which it is sitting) and sometimes it can't. The force you described can't be calculated, only measured.
Dr Lots-o'watts
Sep6-10, 06:04 PM
P: 674
The force on a book on a table can be calculated because g (or G) was measured previously (historically).

If you push the wall by simply leaning on it, you can imagine replacing yourself by a leaning post of equal weight and calculate the horizontal component caused by gravity (the part touching the floor is a pivot point).

assuredlonewo
Sep6-10, 07:15 PM
P: 15
How do you calculate a force of a object that is not accelerating

Quote Quote by russ_watters View Post
Welcome to PF.

Sometimes that type of force can be calculated (like the force between a book and a table on which it is sitting) and sometimes it can't. The force you described can't be calculated, only measured.
How can you measure it?
russ_watters
Sep6-10, 08:29 PM
Mentor
P: 22,234
Quote Quote by assuredlonewo View Post
How can you measure it?
Place a scale between your hands and the wall.

Register to reply