How do you calculate a force of a object that is not accelerating

by assuredlonewo
Tags: accelerating, force, object
assuredlonewo
Sep6-10, 05:31 PM
P: 15
I would like to know how to calculate the force of an object that is not accelerating, for example, If I were push on a wall, neither me or the wall would move because the net force would be zero, but how would I calculate the force if I am trying to put on the wall.(I do not want the net force)
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
russ_watters
Sep6-10, 05:50 PM
Mentor
P: 22,001
Welcome to PF.

Sometimes that type of force can be calculated (like the force between a book and a table on which it is sitting) and sometimes it can't. The force you described can't be calculated, only measured.
Dr Lots-o'watts
Sep6-10, 06:04 PM
P: 675
The force on a book on a table can be calculated because g (or G) was measured previously (historically).

If you push the wall by simply leaning on it, you can imagine replacing yourself by a leaning post of equal weight and calculate the horizontal component caused by gravity (the part touching the floor is a pivot point).

assuredlonewo
Sep6-10, 07:15 PM
P: 15

How do you calculate a force of a object that is not accelerating

Quote Quote by russ_watters View Post
Welcome to PF.

Sometimes that type of force can be calculated (like the force between a book and a table on which it is sitting) and sometimes it can't. The force you described can't be calculated, only measured.
How can you measure it?
russ_watters
Sep6-10, 08:29 PM
Mentor
P: 22,001
Quote Quote by assuredlonewo View Post
How can you measure it?
Place a scale between your hands and the wall.

Register to reply