Math Is Hard
Sep11-10, 02:28 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,921
Listen up, guys!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100909/...n_male_dancing

By MARIA CHENG, AP Medical Writer Maria Cheng, Ap Medical Writer Thu Sep 9, 11:52 am ET

LONDON John Travolta was onto something. Women are most attracted to male dancers who have big, flamboyant moves similar to the actor's trademark style, British scientists say in a new study.

Kris McCarty and colleagues at Northumbria University and the University of Gottingen in Germany asked 19 men aged 18 to 35 who were not professional dancers to dance in a laboratory for one minute to a basic drum rhythm. They filmed the men's movements with a dozen cameras, and then turned those movements into computer-generated avatars so the study could focus on moves, not appearances.

Scientists then showed the dancing avatars to 37 women, who rated their skills on a scale of 1 to 7. According to the women, the best dancers were those who had a wide range of dance moves and focused on the head, neck and torso.
Although I'm not sure if the conclusion should be that women are more attracted to flamboyant dancing. It could just be that dancers who move around a lot are generally perceived as better dancers than ones who don't move around so much. Isn't that common sense? (Elaine from Seinfeld excepted).
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
cronxeh
Sep11-10, 02:29 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,236
Quote Quote by Math Is Hard View Post
(Elaine from Seinfeld excepted).
Do you dance like Elaine from Seinfeld by any chance?

Actually there is a video of this guy doing it and its pretty hot. I think this dance works better for guys than girls:

Greg Bernhardt
Sep12-10, 03:09 PM
Admin
P: 8,542
I'm all for having fun dancing, but usually those flamboyant male dancers in a club are either gay or a total jerk.

Evo
Sep12-10, 03:13 PM
Mentor
P: 25,958

Study: Flamboyant male dancing attracts women best

I always snickered at men that moved around a lot. Where do they find the women for these polls?
Astronuc
Sep12-10, 03:44 PM
Admin
P: 21,637
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Where do they find the women for these polls?
LOL, I had the same thought. I'd like to know so I can avoid them. Oh, but then that's the UK. I presume such women (and guys) like to dance clubs or go clubbing.

I was never much into dancing, although I knew a number of women who did. One liked Polka music and dancing, another liked Country & Western dancing, others like dancing to disco or rock.

I prefer quieter venues - such as a hike in the woods, gardens, park or mountains.
FrancisZ
Sep23-10, 11:28 PM
P: 43
Topic reminds me of this...

jackmell
Sep24-10, 08:51 AM
P: 1,666
It could just be that dancers who move around a lot are generally perceived as better dancers than ones who don't move around so much.
I disagree. A good dancer is a good dancer and I don't think the more you move the better you are. For example, take Audrina on Dancing with the Stars. She's an all-American chick I think, pretty too, but she danced stiff and was also a little nervous. She wasn't very "flowing". I think the flowing is a part to good dancing but not over-doing it.
BobG
Sep24-10, 05:11 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,275
Quote Quote by jackmell View Post
I disagree.
I disagree with your disagreement. I think this guy moves around a lot and he's very good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89yiGsd2ARA
cronxeh
Sep24-10, 05:44 PM
PF Gold
Bob, this guy is slim, fit, good-looking. Anything he does - people will like. That being said, that dance is better saved for a rave party
BobG
Sep24-10, 06:17 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,275
Quote Quote by cronxeh View Post
Bob, this guy is slim, fit, good-looking. Anything he does - people will like. That being said, that dance is better saved for a rave party
I'm slim, fit, and good looking - just not as young.

I could learn to dance like that! I know I could!

I just want to dance!

(I could at least learn to dance better than Elaine.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4moPhSeDWFI
Math Is Hard
Sep24-10, 06:38 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
You know who could dance? Rerun could dance. (And he moved around a lot.)

I think the authors of that study would conclude that because I rate Rerun as a really good dancer, it also means I am attracted to him.

I was never hot for Rerun, though.
Evo
Sep24-10, 09:38 PM
Mentor
Check out this guy's moves when the music comes on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwakjoSs754

cronxeh
Sep24-10, 09:42 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Check out this guy's moves when the music comes on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwakjoSs754

That is very disturbing to watch. I hope there was an ambulance and a geriatric surgeon on standby in case someone broke a hip
turbo
Sep24-10, 09:46 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,367
I never really learned to dance. Older girls would grab me and drag me out on the floor when I was in junior high, but as soon as I learned to play guitar and try to get paid to perform, I lost all interest in dancing. The older girls were generally baby-sitters that were hired to watch my sisters when I was old enough to stay by myself. We'd watch horror movies and huddle up on the couch or dance to the music on the radio when my sisters were asleep. At least my parents were nice enough to pick really pretty baby-sitters! When I was in JH or a Freshman in HS, I had a lot of Senior girls grabbing me at dances to do all those short-lived '60's dances.

Some of the dances were petty goofy.
Evo
Sep24-10, 10:13 PM
Mentor
that is very disturbing to watch. I hope there was an ambulance and a geriatric surgeon on standby in case someone broke a hip
rofllmao.
FrancisZ
Sep24-10, 10:50 PM
P: 43
That is very disturbing to watch. I hope there was an ambulance and a geriatric surgeon on standby in case someone broke a hip
Ditto. And I like Disco (I'm from Brooklyn, originally). But this video is not giving me warm fuzzies, as much as it is dark creepies. I mean you could just as easily replace the music from this video, with that of a crappy version of "On the Beautiful Blue Danube"...

Work it trooper.
Math Is Hard
Sep24-10, 11:06 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
I think these are samples of the dancing avatars that the women in the study in the OP were shown.

A "bad" dancer:

And a "good" dancer:

This research was published in the Royal Society journal 'Biology Letters', in the paper 'Male dance moves that catch a woman's eye', by Nick Neave, Kristofor McCarty, Jeanette Freynik, Nicholas Caplan, Johannes Honekopp, and Bernhard Fink. The doi link for the article is http://dx.doi.org/10.1098/rsbl.2010.0619
GeorginaS
Sep25-10, 12:24 AM
P: 379
I think these are samples of the dancing avatars that the women in the study in the OP were shown.

A "bad" dancer:

Oh my goodness. I have a friend who dances exactly like that. There's no music playing, but you know that person has no rhythm at all.

Did someone define "flamboyant" though? Because my "flamboyant" may very well not be someone else's. The "good dancing avatar" for example. Not flamboyant in the least.

Register to reply