Proving Surjectivity and Injectivity in Homomorphisms of Short Exact Sequences

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a homomorphism of short exact sequences in vector spaces. The goal is to prove that \sigma is surjective if and only if \rho is injective, and that \sigma is injective if and only if \rho is surjective. The homework equations and attempts at a solution are also mentioned. However, it is concluded that both of these statements are false, as demonstrated by counterexamples provided in the conversation.
losiu99
Hello! I have just another problem I can't figure out how to solve:

Homework Statement

Consider a homomorphism of short exact sequences (it's all vector spaces):
[PLAIN]http://img814.imageshack.us/img814/9568/seq.png

Prove that:
(1) [tex]\sigma[/tex] is surjective iff [tex]\rho[/tex] is injective.
(2) [tex]\sigma[/tex] is injective iff [tex]\rho[/tex] is surjective.

Homework Equations

Earlier parts of the exercise:
(1) [tex]\psi_2 (\hbox{Im } \sigma)=\hbox{Im } \tau[/tex]
There was also another,
(2) [tex]\phi_1(\ker \rho)=\ker \sigma[/tex],
but this is wrong, I'm afraid.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm deeply sorry, but I have no idea where to start.

Thanks in advance for any hints!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I could be wrong since my algebra was a long time ago, but it seems to me that both of these statements are false.

Let [tex]k[/tex] be the field over which the vector spaces are taken. To see that (1) is false, let [tex]F_1 = k, E_1 = k, G_1 = 0, F_2 = k, E_2 = k^2, G_2 = k; \phi_1 = \mathrm{id}, \psi_1 = 0, \phi_2 = \iota_1[/tex] is the inclusion along the first axis, [tex]\psi_2 = \pi_2[/tex] is the projection along the second axis; [tex]\rho = \mathrm{id}, \sigma = \iota_1, \tau = 0[/tex]. This diagram commutes since [tex]\phi_2 \rho = \sigma \phi_1 = \iota_1, \psi_2 \sigma = \tau \psi_1 = 0[/tex], and the sequences are exact since [tex]\ker\psi_1 = \mathop{\mathrm{im}}\phi_1 = k[/tex], [tex]\ker\psi_2 = \mathop{\mathrm{im}}\phi_2 = k \times 0[/tex]. Here [tex]\rho[/tex] is bijective, but [tex]\sigma[/tex] is not surjective.

To see that (2) is also false, exchange the roles of the two rows, and let [tex]\rho = \mathrm{id}, \sigma = \pi_1, \tau = 0[/tex]. Then [tex]\rho[/tex] is bijective, but [tex]\sigma[/tex] is not injective.

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. Too bad I quickly gave up my attempts to construct counterexample. Thank you for you time, it's perfectly clear now.

1. What is a short exact sequence?

A short exact sequence is a sequence of mathematical objects, such as groups or modules, connected by homomorphisms in a specific way. The sequence is "exact" because each homomorphism in the sequence is both injective (one-to-one) and surjective (onto), and the images and kernels of each homomorphism match up in a specific way.

2. How is a short exact sequence written?

A short exact sequence is typically written in the form 0 → A → B → C → 0, where A, B, and C are the mathematical objects and the arrows represent the homomorphisms between them. The 0's at the beginning and end of the sequence represent the trivial object, which is the identity element of the group or the zero element of the module.

3. What is the significance of short exact sequences?

Short exact sequences are important in many areas of mathematics, including algebra, topology, and geometry. They allow for the study of relationships between mathematical objects and can help to classify and understand these objects. They are also useful in proving theorems and solving problems in various branches of mathematics.

4. How is a short exact sequence verified?

To verify that a sequence is short exact, one must check that each homomorphism in the sequence is injective, surjective, and that the images and kernels match up in the correct way. This can be done by examining the specific definitions and properties of the objects and homomorphisms involved.

5. Can a short exact sequence be extended?

Yes, a short exact sequence can be extended by adding more objects and homomorphisms to either end of the sequence. However, the extended sequence may no longer be exact, as the additional objects and homomorphisms may not fit into the exactness condition. This can lead to new insights and results, but it is important to carefully consider the implications of extending a short exact sequence.