Magnetic Monopoles: Theory or Reality?

In summary, the article discusses the concept of "effective" monopoles, which are formed by the ends of a dipole chain. These monopoles are not true magnetic monopoles, but they behave similarly and give researchers insight into what true monopoles might be like. They always come in pairs and can only act like monopoles when they are close together.
Frannas
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/09/090903163725.htm

I found this article while reading up about magnetic monopoles. It says the they have observed monopoles, I went to my physics lecturer with this and she told me that is a false article and that monopoles are still only theoretic.
Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
The article seems to be real, but the monopoles it talks about are not true magnetic monopoles. They're "effective" monopoles, formed by the ends of a dipole chain. (I presume you know about magnetic dipoles, basically tiny bar magnets :wink:) Basically, if you have a bunch of dipoles lined up end to end like so:

NSNSNSNSNSNSNSNSNSNSNSNSNSNSNSNSNSNS

the "SN" pairs in the middle (the south end of one dipole and the north end of the adjacent one) will basically cancel out since they're right next to each other. That leaves a N pole on one end of the chain and an S pole on the other end. What the researchers in the article discovered is that these two poles are largely independent because of the large distance between them, so they act kind of like magnetic monopoles. This allows them (the researchers) to get a sense of what true magnetic monopoles might behave like.

Of course, these monopole ends always come in pairs, one north and one south, and they only act like monopoles as long as you don't pull them apart from the chain.

1. What are magnetic monopoles?

Magnetic monopoles are hypothetical particles that have only one magnetic pole (either north or south), unlike the usual magnets which have both poles. They are predicted by various theories, such as Grand Unified Theories, but have not been observed in nature.

2. How do magnetic monopoles differ from regular magnets?

Regular magnets have both a north and a south pole, while magnetic monopoles only have one of these poles. This means that they would be able to exist as individual particles, unlike regular magnets which are always found in pairs.

3. Are magnetic monopoles just a theoretical concept or have they been observed?

Currently, magnetic monopoles have only been observed in theoretical models and experiments. There have been some claims of their detection in cosmic rays, but these have not been confirmed.

4. What is the significance of magnetic monopoles?

If they were to be observed and proven to exist, magnetic monopoles could help bridge the gap between quantum mechanics and general relativity. They could also provide insights into the early universe and the formation of the universe.

5. Is there any ongoing research or experiments being conducted on magnetic monopoles?

Yes, there are ongoing efforts to detect and study magnetic monopoles. One approach is through the development of more sensitive detectors to search for their presence in cosmic rays. There are also experiments being conducted at particle accelerators to try and create magnetic monopoles. However, so far, these efforts have not yielded any conclusive evidence of their existence.