Register to reply

Equations and sketches on a computer

by bacon
Tags: equations, sketches
Share this thread:
bacon
Sep16-10, 11:12 AM
P: 67
I have been helping my daughter over the phone with first year physics and have run into a problem with communication(insert your favorite joke here). It is difficult to describe a diagram that has vector, angles, notations and also associated equations. I would like to be able to freehand sketch a drawing or write an equation that would appear real time on her computer screen or alternatively could be written on a digital sheet of paper that could be easily and quickly sent as an email attachment or in some other manner.

Has anyone here had this situation before and know of some relatively inexpensive solutions.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

We both use Mac's.
I have looked at Wacom's Bamboo Pen as an input device but have not tried it yet.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
jackmell
Sep16-10, 12:14 PM
P: 1,666
Not immediately. We could approach this strictly from a tech perspective. For example, what precisely do you wish to have for the input interfaces? Do you mean a writing-tablet that you write free-hand with a pen of sorts, and that input appears real-time on a similar writing-pad at the other end? That sounds like a fun coding problem, hardware and interfaces too.

What would be the best way of searching the internet for this type of interface? I'm not even sure how I would describe it effectively.
jtbell
Sep16-10, 12:26 PM
Mentor
P: 11,786
A relatively low-tech, non-real-time solution is to draw the diagram on paper, then scan it and e-mail the image as an attachment. If needed, you can usually reduce the file size a lot by manipulating the contrast in an image-editing program, to make the background perfectly white, then saving the image as a GIF instead of a JPEG.

For a real-time solution you could use a webcam focused on a sheet of paper that you write on. If necessary, you can scan the paper and e-mail the image later as a permanent record.

cronxeh
Sep16-10, 03:32 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,236
Equations and sketches on a computer

Isnt Google Wave capable of this in real time. Text and audio chat
Dr Transport
Sep16-10, 08:18 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,475
I think Skype has a feature that has a white/black board for drawing....
bacon
Sep17-10, 01:44 PM
P: 67
Thank you for your responses. I am going to look into your suggestions. I will let you know what ends up working for me.

Register to reply