by Imtheking
Tags: airplane, marginal, stable
Share this thread:
boneh3ad
Sep22-10, 08:50 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,491
Quote Quote by Cyrus
I'm going to make it a point to use it in conversation to sound smart tomorrow, lol.
Every time I try to do this, I forget within about 30 minutes.
Cyrus
Sep22-10, 09:13 PM
P: 4,780
Quote Quote by boneh3ad View Post
Every time I try to do this, I forget within about 30 minutes.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

Voltaire
boneh3ad
Sep22-10, 09:19 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,491
Quote Quote by Cyrus View Post
Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

Voltaire
Nice try, but it doesn't really apply here, chief.
Danger
Sep23-10, 03:18 AM
PF Gold
P: 8,964
Maybe I'm missing something here because I didn't start flying until 1975, but I have never heard of a "neutral point" in relation to an aeroplane.

edit: Alright, I have heard of it, but it was in relation to the mile-high club, so I doubt that it is relevant to this thread.
dtango
Sep23-10, 04:19 PM
P: 43
Quote Quote by Danger View Post
Maybe I'm missing something here because I didn't start flying until 1975, but I have never heard of a "neutral point" in relation to an aeroplane.
Of course you have! You just didn't know it. I'm sure you were taught about CG movement for an airplane and the need to be sure how far aft the CG may move- for instance as you add passengers and bags for a GA airplane.

CG moving aft of the neutral point means bad juju!
Danger
Sep23-10, 07:32 PM
PF Gold
P: 8,964
Quote Quote by dtango View Post
Of course you have! You just didn't know it. I'm sure you were taught about CG movement for an airplane and the need to be sure how far aft the CG may move- for instance as you add passengers and bags for a GA airplane.

CG moving aft of the neutral point means bad juju!
Okay, yeah... I've never heard it called that, though.
mugaliens
Sep25-10, 02:06 PM
P: 595
Quote Quote by Danger View Post
Okay, yeah... I've never heard it called that, though.
It's not. They're confusing it with the center of pressure. The neutral point and the center of pressure are very closely related, but they're not synonomous.
Cyrus
Sep27-10, 01:32 PM
P: 4,780
Quote Quote by mugaliens View Post
It's not. They're confusing it with the center of pressure. The neutral point and the center of pressure are very closely related, but they're not synonomous.
No one's said anything about center of pressure here. I'm a bit confused about this post.
mugaliens
Sep28-10, 07:19 AM
P: 595
Quote Quote by Cyrus View Post
No one's said anything about center of pressure here. I'm a bit confused about this post.
When the CG is located at the neutral point, the aircraft is on the line between dynamic stability and instability. The neutral point is fixed. The center of pressure, however, changes with flight control manipulation. It's close to the neutral point, but not precisely so.

For dynamic stability the CG is located forward of both.

Register to reply