Sep20-10, 08:23 PM
P: 19
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
x(t) = u(t) - 2*u(t-2) + u(t-5)
h(t) = exp(2*t) * u(1-t)

2. Relevant equations
Need to find convolution integrals for all possible intervals

3. The attempt at a solution
Ok, the first thing to do is to rewrite these equations in terms of [tex]\tau[/tex]. Now i have:
x([tex]\tau[/tex]) = u([tex]\tau[/tex]) - 2*u([tex]\tau[/tex]-2) + u([tex]\tau[/tex]-5)
h([tex]\tau[/tex]) = exp(2*[tex]\tau[/tex]) * u(1-[tex]\tau[/tex])

Now, i must derive h(t-[tex]\tau[/tex]), and i have:

h([tex]\tau[/tex]) = exp(2*(t-[tex]\tau[/tex])) * u(t + [tex]\tau[/tex] + 1)

Ok, now i am stuck, how to derive the needed intervals? And form the appropriate integral for each interval without graphing?

The answer says, that the intervals are: t <=1, 1 <= t <= 3, 3 <= t <= 6, 6 <= t

I have no clear idea now how did they derive these intervals WITHOUT GRAPHING!

What else i did is i rewrote x([tex]\tau[/tex]) and h(t-[tex]\tau[/tex]) in general term of convolution sum, and got:

y(t) = Integral[-Inf, Inf] ( (u([tex]\tau[/tex]) - 2*u([tex]\tau[/tex]-2) + u([tex]\tau[/tex]-5)) * exp(2*[tex]\tau[/tex]) * u(1-[tex]\tau[/tex]) ) d[tex]\tau[/tex]

Now, solving inequalilties inside above expression gives:
[tex]\tau[/tex] >= 0, [tex]\tau[/tex] >=2, [tex]\tau[/tex] >= 5, [tex]\tau[/tex] <= t, [tex]\tau[/tex] <= t+1

And now im kind of stuck... how to derive now the correct integrals for bolded intervals above?

what is the clear logic to do this, and similar problems? I have several other problems too like this, and i think once i get the robust logic here, i will be able to solve others too.

thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100

Register to reply