What is the total error in calculating resistance using a Manganin wire?

• Thread starter Acuben
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Error
In summary, the conversation is about calculating total error when given one value and using it in a physics lab. The equation R=\frac{\rho l}{\pi r^{2}} is mentioned and the question of whether the final error needs to be in percentage is asked. The formula \Deltaf = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}*\Deltat + \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}*\Deltay is also brought up and the concept of partial derivatives and % error in measurements is discussed. Rules for calculating % error are mentioned and it is advised to convert it back to an actual error in the final result.
Acuben

Homework Statement

First of all, I do not know if I am asking a complex question or easy question... since I haven't covered this in detail, but my physics teacher requires the class to use it in the lab

1. When you have one value value how do you calculate for total error?
Here I find the R, the Resistance of Manganin wire with has
[tex]\rho[/tex]=44x10^-8 (neglecting error)

l=30.30 [tex]\pm[/tex] 0.05 inches
r= 0.02185 [tex]\pm[/tex] 0.00005 cm
R=[tex]\rho[/tex]l/A

A= [tex]\pi[/tex][tex]r^{2}[/tex]

2. Must this final error be in percentage?

Homework Equations

R=[tex]\rho[/tex]l/A
A= area so pi times radius squared
so...
R=[tex]\frac{\rho l}{\pi r^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]\Delta[/tex]f = [tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}[/tex]*[tex]\Delta[/tex]t + [tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}[/tex]*[tex]\Delta[/tex]y

I never used this formula and I have no idea how to use it o_O partial x and delta x?

The Attempt at a Solution

since for [tex]\pm[/tex] errors are multiplied, squared, divided, etc...
I can try changing to percent error so..

since R=[tex]\frac{\rho l}{\pi r^{2}}[/tex]

and let's say I converted to % error
a= percent error of l
b= percent error of r
would total % error be a-2b ?

or must I get partial derivatives involved? o_O
treat me like I don't know anything xD

edit1: give me time to edit my post, the symbols are not coming out as I wanted to it to be
edit2: done editing!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Find the % error in each of your measurements.
Rule 1
If the quantities are multiplied or divided (as is the case in your equation) add the percentage errors to get the total % error in the answer.
Rule 2
If a number is squared take 2 times the % error. (This is the case with the radius)
From the total % error, convert this back to an actual error in the final result.

1. What is total error in scientific experiments?

Total error in scientific experiments refers to the combined effect of all sources of error in a measurement or calculation. It takes into account both random and systematic errors, and is often expressed as a percentage or absolute value.

2. How is total error calculated?

Total error is calculated by adding together the individual errors from each source. For example, if there are three sources of error with values of 2%, 4%, and 1%, the total error would be 7% (2% + 4% + 1%).

3. Why is it important to calculate total error in scientific experiments?

Calculating total error is important because it allows scientists to understand the accuracy and reliability of their data. By knowing the total error, they can also determine the confidence level of their results and make necessary adjustments to improve the accuracy of their experiments.

4. How can total error be minimized in scientific experiments?

Total error can be minimized by identifying and controlling sources of error in the experimental design, using precise measurement tools and techniques, and repeating experiments multiple times to account for any random errors. It is also important to carefully analyze and interpret the data to identify any potential errors or outliers.

5. What is the difference between total error and uncertainty in scientific experiments?

Total error refers to the overall deviation of a measurement or calculation from the true value, taking into account all sources of error. Uncertainty, on the other hand, refers to the range of values within which the true value is expected to fall with a certain level of confidence. While total error is a measure of accuracy, uncertainty is a measure of precision.