What's the point of imagery numbers?

by Femme_physics
Tags: imagery, numbers, point
Share this thread:
Femme_physics
Sep25-10, 02:54 AM
PF Gold
P: 2,551
You can't really do anything with them since they're not real. Did mathematicians come up with it to give students some junk study material to bulk up math?
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Professor quantifies how 'one thing leads to another'
Team announces construction of a formal computer-verified proof of the Kepler conjecture
Iranian is first woman to win 'Nobel Prize of maths' (Update)
Mentallic
Sep25-10, 03:14 AM
HW Helper
P: 3,531
Quote Quote by Dory View Post
...to give students some junk study material to bulk up math?
lol yes definitely this.

By the way, it is imaginary - not imagery - numbers

I've heard that complex numbers help in quite a lot of aspects in the real world - although I haven't personally experienced them as of yet. They are imaginary numbers, but their use solves real problems.

We can use imaginary numbers to convert multiples of cos and sin into powers of cos and sin instead. For example cos(2x)=2cos2x-1. Of course there are other ways besides using complex numbers to give the same result, but complex numbers can make things much easier. Same goes with some integration, and many others.

Ages ago people believed that negative numbers were useless too, they had no physical significance because mass, distance, volume etc. are all positive. They had no use for them, but as you know we have found many uses for them. Thinking about it, most real world problems can be solved without negative numbers but we use these negative numbers to make things more simple. Rather than saying 2km forward and 3km backward, we use positive to describe forward and negative to describe backwards.

But then again I could just be wrong and negative numbers were invented by mathematicians just like the complex numbers were to bombard students with more useless stuff to fill their time with
Femme_physics
Sep25-10, 03:39 AM
PF Gold
By the way, it is imaginary - not imagery - numbers
Ahem... yes, I know it's imaginary and not imagery...:P the reason I typed imagery in is called indiscretion... and I can't edit title...

Anyway, it's just my first run-up with them...and it seems likely they have no use... just wanted to find out if that's the case...which it seems to be!

Phrak
Sep25-10, 04:22 AM
P: 4,512
What's the point of imagery numbers?

"What's the point of imagery numbers?"

What's the point of 'zero'?
Gerenuk
Sep25-10, 05:02 AM
P: 1,060
There is an association which invents new stuff just to annoy student.... ah... just kidding.

Complex numbers are incredibly important in maths and physics. With complex numbers many integrals are easily solved. Complex numbers and the Fourier transform help to solve differential equations which are basis of just everything in the real world.
The equalizer on your stereo that shows the strength of the individual sound frequencies uses complex numbers to do the calculation. In physics all of quantum mechanics is based on complex numbers so they are the reason why you have all the electronic high tech equipment. In fact, you will (have?) learn(ed) at school that electric circuits are best handled with complex numbers.

BTW: Search for complex numbers (and maybe "fluid dynamics") on this forum. There has been an extensive thread before.
Femme_physics
Sep25-10, 05:02 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Phrak View Post
"What's the point of imagery numbers?"

What's the point of 'zero'?

The point of zero is to indicate nothing. But...that still doesn't answer my question.
Hurkyl
Sep25-10, 05:46 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 16,091
You can't really do anything with them since they're not real. Did mathematicians come up with it to give students some junk study material to bulk up math?
You're confusing two pairs of homonyms -- the mathematical terms "real" and "imaginary" have pretty much nothing to do with the English words "real" and "imaginary".

Complex numbers were originally invented because the solution method to find the real roots of the cubic equation involved taking square roots of negative numbers.

Subsequently, they have been found to have better algebraic, geometric, and analytical properties than the real numbers. Therefore, even if you are only asking questions about real numbers, they still often come into play because they make it easier to answer the question.

Since people like physics, I'll point out examples of their utility in that field:
  • The impedance of an AC circuit is a complex number
  • Signals are often measured as complex numbers
  • Complex numbers are useful for studying two-dimensional ideal fluid flow
  • Physical states and operators of quantum mechanics are firmly entrenched in the realm of complex linear algebra
HallsofIvy
Sep25-10, 09:07 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,491
Historically, a major impetus for developing complex numbers ("imaginary numbers" are a subset) was Cardano's formula for solving cubic equations. It involves taking the third root of a square root of combinations of the coefficients. There are cases in which a cubic equation has real roots but using Cardano's formula to find those roots requires taking the square root of a negative number. The imaginary numbers cancel out in the end but are required in the formula.
Gerenuk
Sep25-10, 09:12 AM
P: 1,060
But don't worry, Dory. Currently the student-occupation-agency is working on Surreal Numbers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surreal_number
which are even more complicating. So as soon as you grasp complex numbers there is more to come :-D
Jobrag
Sep25-10, 11:56 AM
P: 477
Go here
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qykl
And click on the listen now button it should be available till next Tuesday.
NobodySpecial
Sep25-10, 02:37 PM
P: 474
Then the programme is available permanently in the archive http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features...rchive/science
granpa
Sep25-10, 03:59 PM
P: 2,258
strictly speaking a number only has magnitude.
A number with magnitude and direction is actually an ordered pair of numbers.
There are many fields that use ordered pairs of numbers.
The field of complex numbers is just one.

After you learn about complex numbers then you can move on to quaternions. They are used in rotations or something like that.

(I am using the word 'field' loosely here)
Hurkyl
Sep25-10, 04:25 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 16,091
Quote Quote by granpa View Post
strictly speaking a number only has magnitude.
Strictly speaking, this statement is only true if you are restricting your usage of the term "number" to refer to sets like the non-negative real numbers, or similar objects. (assuming I have interpreted your use of "only has" correctly.

Many prefer to use the a meaning appropriate to the situation, rather than adopt some dogmatic principle.

A number with magnitude and direction is actually an ordered pair of numbers.
Just because you can analyze doesn't mean you should analyze -- don't forget the importance of synthesis.

(Also, don't confuse the analysis with the original object of study!)
LCKurtz
Sep25-10, 05:24 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 7,630
They are just as real as the "real" numbers are. You might find

"There's nothing imaginary about complex numbers" interesting. See:

http://math.asu.edu/~kurtz/complex.html
Mentallic
Sep26-10, 12:48 AM
HW Helper
P: 3,531
Quote Quote by Hurkyl View Post
You're confusing two pairs of homonyms -- the mathematical terms "real" and "imaginary" have pretty much nothing to do with the English words "real" and "imaginary".
Quote Quote by LCKurtz View Post
They are just as real as the "real" numbers are.
Imaginary numbers are useful, but this doesn't change the fact that they're still imaginary.
l'HŰpital
Sep26-10, 01:16 AM
P: 256
Quote Quote by Mentallic View Post
Imaginary numbers are useful, but this doesn't change the fact that they're still imaginary.
The point he is trying to make is that the real numbers themselves are imaginary. Numbers (of any kind) are abstract concepts. The reason why people might not consider the integers as abstract is because they use them all the time. It doesn't make them any less 'imaginary' than the 'imaginary' numbers. This is why a lot of people simply refer to the imaginary numbers as Complex numbers.
JonF
Sep26-10, 10:42 PM
P: 617
Iíll answer your question if you tell me for f(x)=x^2 + 1 what values f(x)= 0
G037H3
Sep27-10, 12:54 AM
P: 326
negative square root of 1

sorry, instantly had an answer for once o_o

Register to reply