Find an equation of the tangent line to the graph of the function f

by A_Munk3y
Tags: equation, function, graph, line, tangent
Share this thread:
A_Munk3y
Sep29-10, 05:03 PM
P: 72
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Find an equation of the tangent line to the graph of the function f defined by the following equation at the indicated point.
(x - y - 1)3 = x; (1, -1)

3. The attempt at a solution
x3-y3=1
3y2(dy/dx)-3x2=0
3y2(dy/dx)=3x22
(dy/dx)=3y2/3x2
(dy/dx)=x2/y2
slope = (dy/dx) = 1

y-(-1)= 1(x-1)
y=x-2

thats wrong -.-
i tried making it dy/dx = x/y and still wrong.
where am i messing up? I'm pretty sure it has to do with the x at the end but i have no idea what to do with it!
We just learned derivatives so I'm still messing up with them.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Law changed to allow 'unlocking' cellphones
Microsoft sues Samsung alleging contract breach
Best evidence yet for coronal heating theory detected by NASA sounding rocket
Dick
Sep29-10, 05:08 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 25,242
What has x^3-y^3=1 got to do with the problem? Your equation is (x-y-1)^3=x. Find y' using implicit differentiation.
A_Munk3y
Sep29-10, 05:17 PM
Yea, i thought i was deriving it wrong :) Ok, let me go back and look at my notes to see how to do implicit differentiation.
Thanks

A_Munk3y
Sep29-10, 05:49 PM
Find an equation of the tangent line to the graph of the function f

... i can't figure out how to do the implicit differentiation on this. Could someone help me out with it?
Dick
Sep29-10, 05:53 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
Quote Quote by A_Munk3y View Post
... i can't figure out how to do the implicit differentiation on this. Could someone help me out with it?
The derivative of u^3 is 3*u^2*u'. Put u=x-y-1. What do you get? Is that the part that's confusing you?
A_Munk3y
Sep29-10, 06:02 PM
I'm getting confused on the dx/dy part. I'm not even sure i understand how to do this right.
I thought i had to have them all cubed then get the derivative of x3-y3-13 but obviously that's not right since your first response was what did x3-y3= 1 have to do anything.

So is it 3x2*u and 3y2*u -1? and then i add the dx/dy part somewhere? Or am i just way off here :(
Sorry, we just learned this stuff today and it still hasn't really sunk in.
Char. Limit
Sep29-10, 07:23 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,945
Why would you implicitly differentiate? Since 3 is an odd power, you can solve for y without losing any information...
Dick
Sep29-10, 08:53 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
Quote Quote by Char. Limit View Post
Why would you implicitly differentiate? Since 3 is an odd power, you can solve for y without losing any information...
Good point. If you aren't comfortable with implicit differentiation, try it that way. They both work.

Register to reply