Electric field of an infinite line charge and a point charge

by amilkovi
Tags: charge, electric, field, infinite, line, point
Share this thread:
amilkovi
Sep29-10, 11:26 PM
P: 1
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
An infinite line charge with linear charge density [tex]\lambda[/tex]=2.0[tex]\mu[/tex]C/m lies along the y-axis. A point charge of 8.0 [tex]\mu[/tex]C is locate at (x,y)=(-1.0m, 2.0m). Find (a) the electric field at (x,y)=(1.0m, 2.0m) (b) Find the force on a charge of -2.0[tex]\mu[/tex]C placed at (x,y)=(1.0m, 2.0m).

I would love if someone could point me into the right direction here!
2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
I believe I'm gona have to add the electric field of both the line and the point charge at the point (1.0m, 2.0m) for part (a)? Then for part (b) do the same except apply the negative charge at the same point and subtract its electric field?
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
vela
Sep30-10, 07:02 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 11,690
Quote Quote by amilkovi View Post
I believe I'm gona have to add the electric field of both the line and the point charge at the point (1.0m, 2.0m) for part (a)?
Yes.
Then for part (b) do the same except apply the negative charge at the same point and subtract its electric field?
No. The negative charge feels a force due to the fields of the other charges. You don't need to take into account the field due to itself.

Register to reply