Find the radii of the two stars

by leonne
Tags: radii, stars
Share this thread:
leonne
Oct6-10, 01:25 PM
P: 192
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
From the light and velocity curves of an eclipsing, double-lined spectroscopic binary
star system, it is determined that the orbital period is 3.15 yr, and the maximum radial
velocities of stars A and B are 5.2 km s^-1 and 21.6 km s^-1, respectively. Furthermore,
the time between first contact and minimum light is tb-ta = 0.45 days, while the length
of the primary minimum is tc -tb = 0.52 days. Relative to the maximum brightness,
the primary minimum is only 54.8% as bright, while the secondary minimum is 88.1%
as bright
You may assume the orbits are circular and seen perfectly edge on.

Find the ratio of the stellar masses (mA/mB), the sum of the masses (M =
mA + mB), and the individual masses (mA and mB).
(b) Find the radii of the two stars. Hint: Use the speed of one star relative to the
other and the eclipse timings given.

2. Relevant equations
v1=(2pie a1)/p r=a(1-e^2)/(1+ecos@) m1=(4V1^2*r1)/G

[c]3. The attempt at a solution[/b]
so becasue its edge on that means inclination angle is 90degrees so thats the real velocity and e = 0 too so just use these formula to find masses right?
now for part B would i just the formula r=a(1-e^2)/(1+ecos@) to find the radii? checked in book showed this as radii but hint says to use something different i think
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
leonne
Oct6-10, 02:35 PM
P: 192
nvm i think i figured it out

Register to reply