How Does Adding Nitric Acid Affect the pH of a Carbonate Buffer Solution?

In summary, a 200.00 mL sample of 1.000 M nitric acid was added to the buffered solution above. What is the resulting pH? The pH of the carbonate buffer solution prepared by mixing 1.500 mol Na2CO3 and 1.000 mol NaHCO3 and adding water to make a 1.000 L solution is 10.35.
unfloopy

Homework Statement

What is the pH of a carbonate buffer solution prepared by mixing 1.500 mol Na2CO3 and 1.000 mol NaHCO3 and adding water to make a 1.000 L solution? (pKa of (HCO3)- is 10.32)

A 200.00 mL sample of 1.000 M nitric acid was added to the buffered solution above. What is the resulting pH?

Homework Equations

Henderson-Hasselbalch equation (pH = pKa + log ([A-]/[HA]))
pH = -log [H+]

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the equation for the first part, and I calculated a pH of 10.50 (pH = 10.32 + log (1.500/1.000)). Is this correct? I'm not sure how to include the second part though... I'm guessing I'm supposed to calculate the resulting pH when nitric acid is added to 1.000 L of water and then somehow use that pH for the second part... If that makes any sense. Any help is appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
10.50 looks OK, although you added, not multiplied (I guess that's just a typo).

What reaction takes place in the solution when you add strong acid? How does it change amounts of CO32- and HCO3-?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oops, that is a typo =P Apologies!

So if I add HNO3, it would dissociate, creating more H3O+. And the addition of hydronium ions would shift the equilibrium to increase the concentration of HCO3-, which decreases the concentration of CO32-. Is that right?

You are on the right track. Assume carbonate protonation went to completion.

Does that mean there wouldn't be any carbonate ions left in the solution?

Check what is a limiting reagent.

So this is what I ended up doing: 0.200 L of 1.000 M nitric acid was added, which means that 0.200 moles of nitric acid was added. Since it's a strong acid, it fully dissociates, meaning that there are 0.200 additional moles of hydrogen ions in the solution. Since there are more protons in the solution, the equilibrium shifts to create more HCO3-, meaning that CO32- are used. Using the ICE method, I figured that the concentration of HCO3- is 1.000 M and that of CO32- is 1.083 M. Then I used the H-H equation and got this: pH = 10.32 + log (1.083 M / 1.000 M) = 10.35. Does that look right?

Last edited:
No. As told - use just the stoichiometry of the reaction.

Simple check - you started with total concentration of carbonate and bicarbonate being 2.5M, now you are down to 2.083 - so there must be something wrong, carbon can't just disappear from the solution (unless it bubbles out as CO2, but you are not protonating bicarbonate, so this is not the case).

I'm not sure I'm understanding correctly - would the correct concentrations be 1.2 M and 1.3 M?

Yes.

Assuming you assigned correct concentration to correct form.

Oh, I see! Thank you =)

Just one more question: so the volume doesn't change even after adding 0.200 L of nitric acid? Wouldn't it be different?

Changes - but it doesn't matter. You see, in the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation under log there is a ratio of two concentrations. If you add water, both concentrations change in the same way, so their ratio stays constant. In fact, it can be easily shown that volume cancels out, and it is just ratio of number of moles of acid and conjugate base that counts.

Beware: there are some traps here. Please read the page about HH equation that I linked to to find out what is the problem.

1. What are buffer solutions?

Buffer solutions are aqueous solutions that resist changes in pH when small amounts of acid or base are added. They are typically made up of a weak acid and its conjugate base, or a weak base and its conjugate acid.

2. Why are buffer solutions important in chemistry?

Buffer solutions are important in chemistry because they help maintain a stable pH in a solution. This is important in many biological and industrial processes, as well as in laboratory experiments where maintaining a specific pH is crucial.

3. How do buffer solutions work?

Buffer solutions work by utilizing the principle of Le Chatelier's principle. When a small amount of acid or base is added to a buffer solution, the equilibrium between the weak acid and its conjugate base or the weak base and its conjugate acid is disturbed. However, due to the presence of both the weak acid and its conjugate base or weak base and its conjugate acid, the pH of the solution remains relatively stable.

4. How do buffer solutions resist changes in pH?

Buffer solutions resist changes in pH through a process called buffering. Buffering occurs when the weak acid or base in the solution reacts with the added acid or base, forming its conjugate base or acid and preventing a significant change in pH. This helps to maintain the equilibrium and keep the pH of the solution stable.

5. How are buffer solutions prepared?

Buffer solutions are typically prepared by mixing a weak acid or base with its conjugate base or acid in specific ratios. The exact ratio will depend on the desired pH of the solution. Alternatively, buffer solutions can also be prepared by partially neutralizing a strong acid or base with a weak acid or base.