Register to reply

What schools have lattice gauge theory?

by xbomber88
Tags: gauge, lattice, schools, theory
Share this thread:
xbomber88
Oct7-10, 08:32 PM
P: 43
I'm applying to grad school this year and I'm thinking I might be interested in exploring lattice gauge theory. Honestly, I don't know very much about the subject but it sounds very interesting to me. Does anybody know which schools have lattice gauge theory and which schools are really good for lattice gauge theory? What would my background need to be like in order to study it?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
The_Duck
Oct7-10, 10:58 PM
P: 865
Hi,

I am in exactly the same position as you; I am applying this year and interested in lattice QCD. I'd also be interested if anyone has something to say on the subject.

I found a list of members of the USQCD organization, giving names and their universities/labs. You could look up people at places you are interested in.
nlsherrill
Oct8-10, 01:16 PM
P: 322
I don't know how my school ranks among others, but NC State University's best area is theoretical nuclear/particle theory. Check here.

http://www.physics.ncsu.edu/research...l_nuclear.html

If you click on "Dr. Dean Lee" near the bottom, and then on his page click on his research group website you will see lattice gauge theory is his main area of study.

Here's something about him on physorg.com talking about lattice methods and effective field theory(this is the same thing as you are talking about I hope?)

http://www.physorg.com/news190476502.html

Lastly, I don't know how much this would affect your decision, if at all, but I have spoken with Dr. Lee and he is an extremely friendly and intelligent professor. Although I have not had a course with him, other students have said he is the best professor in the department here. I would think this would be a big consideration to take into account if one were to be a graduate student under his direction.

Register to reply