Parametric equations for Tangent line of an ellipse

In summary, the given ellipsoid intersects the plane y=2 in an ellipse. By plugging in 2 for y, the equation reduces to 4x^2 + z^2 = 8. From this, it is possible to calculate the derivative of z with respect to x, which is -4x/z. The tangent line to the ellipse at the point (1,2,2) in the y=2 plane is therefore z= -2x+4. To get parametric equations for this line in three dimensions, let x= t and set x= t, y= 2, and z= -2t+4.
derek1999

Homework Statement

The ellipsoid 4x^2+2y^2+z^2=16 intersects the plane y=2 in an ellipse. Find parametric equations for the tangent line to this ellipse at the point (1,2,2)

Homework Equations

sin(t)^2 + cos(t)^2 = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

After plugging 2 in for y, I get 4x^2 + z^2 = 8
thus x^2/2 + z^2/8 = 1
if sin(t)^2 + cos(t)^2=1
then x^2/2=sin(t)^2
and x = root(2)sint(t)
z would = 2root(2)cos(t)
and thus the curve of
x=root(2)sint(t), y=2, z=2root(2)cos(t) would be the intersect of the plane and the ellipsoid.

to get a tangent of the line, it would be r'(t)/|r'(t)

at the point x = 1 = root(2)sint(t) -> t = 45degrees meaning that all cos(t) and sin(t) would be root(2)/2

however for r'(t), I get root(2)cos(t)i + 0j + -2root(2)cos(t) and plugging in root(2)/2, will yield a -1.
Finding the magnitude of the vector always gets me a root(5)

However the answer should be x = 1+t, y=2, z=2-2t

am I making this too complicated or do I not get how to parametrize the intersection of a surface and a plane?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are being much too complicated!

First the problem asked for parametric equations for the tangent line. It is not necessary to get parametric equations for the ellipse,.

Yes, with y= 2, your equation reduces to [itex]4x^2+ z^2= 8[/itex]. From that you can calculate immediately that [itex]8x + 2z dz/dx= 0[/itex] so that [itex]dz/dx= -4x/z[/itex]. In particular, at x= 1, z= 2, [itex]dz/dx= -4(1)/2= -2[/itex]. The tangent line through that point, in the y= 2 plane, is z= -2x+ 4.

Now, to get parametric equations of the line in three dimensions, take x= t as parameter:
x= t, y= 2, z= -2t+ 4.

1. What are parametric equations for the tangent line of an ellipse?

The parametric equations for the tangent line of an ellipse are x = a cos(t) and y = b sin(t), where a and b are the semi-major and semi-minor axes of the ellipse, respectively, and t is the parameter.

2. How are these equations derived?

These equations are derived by taking the derivative of the general equation for an ellipse, (x/a)^2 + (y/b)^2 = 1, and setting it equal to the slope of the tangent line at a given point on the ellipse. The resulting equations are then solved for x and y.

3. What is the significance of these equations?

These equations allow us to easily find the coordinates of points on the tangent line of an ellipse, as well as the slope of the tangent line at any given point on the ellipse. They are also useful in calculating the length of the tangent line segment from a point on the ellipse to the point of tangency.

4. Can these equations be used for any ellipse?

Yes, these equations can be used for any ellipse, regardless of its orientation or size, as long as the semi-major and semi-minor axes are known.

5. How do these equations differ from the parametric equations for a circle?

The parametric equations for a circle are x = r cos(t) and y = r sin(t), where r is the radius of the circle. The only difference between the two sets of equations is the value of the radius or axes, as circles are a special case of ellipses where the semi-major and semi-minor axes are equal.