Register to reply

Virtual particles

by Rothiemurchus
Tags: particles, virtual
Share this thread:
Rothiemurchus
Sep20-04, 03:27 PM
P: 215
Why can't a negative energy virtual particle escape from a black hole?
Could two sets of virtual particles arise from the same point in space simultaneously? And would they have to annihilate simultaneously?
And how does a rapidly oscillating gravitational field affect virtual particle
creation and annihilation?
What is the greatest energy a virtual particle can possibly have?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Cool calculations for cold atoms: New theory of universal three-body encounters
New method for non-invasive prostate cancer screening
How bubble studies benefit science and engineering
zefram_c
Sep20-04, 03:43 PM
P: 260
Why can't a negative energy virtual particle escape from a black hole?
Look up Hawking radiation.
Could two sets of virtual particles arise from the same point in space simultaneously? And would they have to annihilate simultaneously?
Two sets? If you mean two pairs, then I suppose it's possible, and their existence would be largely independent.
What is the greatest energy a virtual particle can possibly have?
Currently there is no upper bound on their energies. It's possible that in a quantum theory of gravity there would be a cutoff at the Planck scale, but that's all hypothetical.

My turn: are these unrelated questions going somewhere?
bd1976
Sep20-04, 03:54 PM
P: 45
Hmm... I seem to remember from a course on the standard model of particle physics that this is indeed possible - however its much more unlikley than the case of just one particle pair being formed. I think (and can only hope that someone wise will read this and correct it) that when you try to calculate the probalility of an event ocuring you have to take into account all of these less and less likely routes by which an event could occur?

Rothiemurchus
Sep20-04, 05:24 PM
Virtual particles

Zefram C:
My turn: are these unrelated questions going somewhere?

Rothie M:
I would like to know, if quarks and an electron,in the early universe, separated by the planck distance -10^-35 m - still absorb and emit virtual photons ,as they do at larger distances, in the current universe.
Loop quantum gravity theorists say that Einstein's laws were still valid at the Planck scale,so were other laws too?
humanino
Sep20-04, 05:35 PM
P: 2,828
When particles are separated by a distance comparable to the Planck distance, they can hear each other, so they keep talking about how stupid humans are. The laughing that results from those conversations is so strong, it tears them apart by a factor of several order of magnitudes. That is the reason particles are so sad. They cannot help talking about our stupidity, and it makes them lonely.

What I'm wrong !? How do you know ? Particles refuse to talk to us anyway.
Rothiemurchus
Sep20-04, 06:10 PM
Them soundwaves from those particles talking, were they doppler shifted by the Big Bang?
skywolf
Sep20-04, 07:25 PM
P: 80
kind of relating to the subject, how do you calculate how much energy a virtual particle can borrow?, if that makes any sence.....

Register to reply