Register to reply

Simple harmonic motion - vibration frequency

by Bugsy23
Tags: frequency, harmonic, motion, simple, vibration
Share this thread:
Bugsy23
Oct18-10, 10:57 AM
P: 25
I need to calculate the frequency of sinusoidal vibrations in simple harmonic motion. The only known values that I have are the acceleration amplitude and the vibration amplitude. Is there a way of calculating the frequency of vibration without knowing the period of the oscillations?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physical constant is constant even in strong gravitational fields
Physicists provide new insights into the world of quantum materials
Nuclear spins control current in plastic LED: Step toward quantum computing, spintronic memory, better displays
Andrew Mason
Oct18-10, 12:12 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 6,684
Quote Quote by Bugsy23 View Post
I need to calculate the frequency of sinusoidal vibrations in simple harmonic motion. The only known values that I have are the acceleration amplitude and the vibration amplitude. Is there a way of calculating the frequency of vibration without knowing the period of the oscillations?
The equation of motion is:

[tex]F = ma = m\ddot{x} = -kx[/tex]

The general solution is:

[tex]x = A_0\sin(\omega t + \phi)[/tex] where [itex]\omega^2 = k/m[/tex]

[itex]A_0[/itex] is the maximum amplitude of vibration (maximum x). The maximum acceleration occurs when x = ? What is the acceleration at that point? (hint: use the equation of motion to find maximum value for a).

From that you should be able to determine [itex]\omega[/itex]

AM

Register to reply