What should I do during winter break?

by ephedyn
Tags: winter
ephedyn
Oct19-10, 08:57 AM
P: 171
I live on the opposite side of the globe from where I'm studying. So I figured I'd save about $2500 of air travel if I stayed for winter break - that's a lot!

However, the dorms at my school are closing during the winter. I'd really love to find something meaningful to do during the winter break while having some lodging to go along with it. I've managed to chart the AMS Joint Mathematics Meeting (6-9 Jan, New Orleans) on my schedule, good, but that's only half a week solved.

What do you do during the academic winter breaks? Is there something you'd suggest to me?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Simplicity is key to co-operative robots
Chemical vapor deposition used to grow atomic layer materials on top of each other
Earliest ancestor of land herbivores discovered
General_Sax
Oct19-10, 11:11 AM
P: 450
Do drugs.
l'H˘pital
Oct19-10, 11:16 AM
P: 256
Read some books for your classes next semester. Nothing too hard course, but just so you know what you'll learn and get a cursory glance at it.

JesseC
Oct19-10, 11:48 AM
P: 281

What should I do during winter break?

Make friends with the locals? :)
missfangula
Oct19-10, 12:06 PM
P: 32
Sleep.
Dembadon
Oct19-10, 12:30 PM
PF Gold
P: 638
In addition to preparing for next semester, try to get out and do something fun. My wife and I are going to Disneyland in December (hopefully it won't rain!). Preparing for next semester is fine, but make sure your break is, in fact, a break.

New Orleans has an excellent music scene. There's sure to be something that will suit your interest. Personally, I'd really enjoy hitting up some "hole-in-the-wall" on a night with live jazz/blues artists scheduled for entertainment.

Are you going by yourself? If not, be sure to ask whomever you take what they'd like to do. Use Google to research the area to which you'll be going. When you find a place to stay, call them and ask about local attractions, events, etc.

Have fun!
ephedyn
Oct19-10, 12:42 PM
General_Sax: I only know basic organic chemistry.

l'H˘pital: Mmhmm, I read all of the time. I'll concentrate on modeling and economic sciences, since the undergraduate modeling competitions are upcoming in spring. I can't be homeless while I do this though, crap, housing is so expensive.

JesseC: Yup, I'd love to make more friends around the US. I'm not a very sociable person though, so again, the question is where to start. Where are you from?

missfangula: Whaaa?
ephedyn
Oct19-10, 12:48 PM
Dembadon: OH, you just gave me an awesome idea. I'll see if there's any concert to attend! Yeah, I'm pretty much alone *shrugs* - I think my friend's presenting so I will have a roommate for those couple of days at New Orleans. Thanks for the good wishes, I hope you enjoy your trip to Disneyland too.
hotvette
Oct19-10, 02:19 PM
HW Helper
P: 930
There are a lot of fun things to do in New Orleans:

1. Take a riverboat ride on a paddle wheel boat. Takes several hours and is very relaxing. I loved going down a deck and observing the engines in action.

2. Visit the zoo

3. Go on tours of local plantations. There are many in the vicinity of New Orleans (some very famous ones). The homes are magnificant. If you are lucky, one may have people in costume acting out trades (blacksmith, etc.).

4. Though I never did it, I think it would be fascinating to go on a bayou boat trip in alligator infested waters....

5. Riverboat gambling. Sounds like fun for an evening.
JesseC
Oct19-10, 02:53 PM
P: 281
@ephedyn Unfortunately I live about 4000 miles away from New Orleans in Manchester UK!

If you're studying at university (I assume you are?), that'd be the perfect place to meet and make friends with people. There must be university societies? Like film club, sports teams etc which you could join?
QuarkCharmer
Oct19-10, 06:44 PM
P: 1,035
I have winter break slated to teach myself Latex and some intermediate programming, as well as look over my books for my next courseload.
shravas
Oct20-10, 02:24 PM
P: 20
Umm, why don't do just stay with one of your friends, since you're going to need a place to stay anyways.

Register to reply