Gravity force probelm

In summary, when the Earth, Moon, and Sun form a right triangle with the Moon at the right angle, the Moon is in its third-quarter phase. The net force exerted on the Sun can be found using the formula Fnet=√F12+F22, where F1 is the force between the Sun and Moon and F2 is the force between the Sun and Earth. The magnitude of this net force is 3.57E22 and the direction can be calculated using cos-1 *F1/F2.
MozAngeles

Homework Statement

When the Earth, Moon, and Sun form a right triangle, with the Moon located at the right angle, as shown in the figure , the Moon is in its third-quarter phase. (The Earth is viewed here from above its North Pole.)
Walker4e.ch12.Pr010.jpg

Find the magnitude of the net force exerted on the Sun.
Find the direction of the net force exerted on the Sun. Give the direction relative to the line connecting the Sun and the Moon.

Homework Equations

Gm1m2/R2
Fnet=√F12+F22
[tex]\theta[/tex]= inverse trig (whatever necessary)
Mass sun=1.99E30
Mass earth= 5.98E24
mass moon= 7.35E22
radius sun to moon=1.50E11
radius moon to earth=3.85E8

The Attempt at a Solution

F1(Sun-Moon)=4.336E20 found by using gravity force eq.
F2(sun earth)= 3.53E22, however this is wrong because it should be 3.58E22, so that means the distance between the sun and the Earth at this time would have to be 1.49E11, which doesn't make since because this should be the hypotenuse, right?. So when using the sencond value for F2, and using hte pythagorean theory I get Fnet=3.57E22, which is the right answer.
NOW to find the direction, i thought you can use the cos inverse *F1/F2, but this turns out to be the wrong answer I have no idea what else to do. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would've done cos-1 also. Did you ever find out the correct answer? I had this exact problem, only I was tasked with finding Fnet exerted on the moon. I found my angle by taking tan-1 of F3/F1, where my value for F3 was 1.9814E20, the force of earth-moon. F1 is obviously sun-moon, only the value I calculated was 4.3438E20. I got the correct answer.

yes finding the net force on the moon was easy, but still never found out for the sun

1. What is the gravity force problem?

The gravity force problem is a theoretical issue in physics that arises when trying to reconcile two fundamental theories of gravity: general relativity and quantum mechanics. These two theories have been incredibly successful in describing the behavior of the universe at large and at the subatomic level respectively, but they are incompatible with each other.

2. How does general relativity explain gravity?

General relativity explains gravity as the curvature of spacetime caused by massive objects. This curvature causes objects to follow certain paths through space, and these paths are what we perceive as the force of gravity.

3. How does quantum mechanics explain gravity?

Quantum mechanics explains gravity as a force carried by particles called gravitons. These particles are thought to interact with other particles, causing the force of gravity.

4. What is the main challenge in reconciling general relativity and quantum mechanics?

The main challenge is that these two theories use different mathematical frameworks and have different predictions for the nature of reality. General relativity describes gravity as a continuous force, while quantum mechanics describes it as a discrete force carried by particles. Finding a way to merge these two perspectives has been a major goal in physics for decades.

5. Why is solving the gravity force problem important?

Solving the gravity force problem would not only lead to a better understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe, but it could also have practical applications. For example, a unified theory of gravity could help us better understand black holes and the early universe, and potentially lead to new technologies such as quantum computers.