Register to reply

Diff EQs: Power Series vs Frobenius Solutions: Difference?

by Saladsamurai
Tags: diff, difference, frobenius, power, series, solutions
Share this thread:
Saladsamurai
Oct29-10, 05:38 PM
P: 3,015
This is a pretty general conceptual question. I was just doing some reviewing for a test, and it occurred to me that if I were not told specifically to use Frobenius method on an equation, I might try to Power series solve it and vice versa. Can we talk about the difference a bit?

We apply both methods to the equation of the form: y'' + p(x)y' +q(x)y = 0

I know that using the Frobenius method has something to do with the fact that we can develop a solution about a regular singular point. But when would a power series solution fail where a Frobenius would not? It seems like we are taking a differential equation whose solution cannot be found due to singularities and forcing a solution from it by multiplying through by x2 and solving that equation instead.

Any thoughts on this?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New model helps explain how provisions promote or reduce wildlife disease
Stress can make hard-working mongooses less likely to help in the future
Grammatical habits in written English reveal linguistic features of non-native speakers' languages
Trifis
Dec25-12, 02:54 PM
P: 148
It's a pity, there has not been any response to this question so far, since this issue is never explained properly by any introductionary textbook of ODEs, to the best of my knowledge. I suppose that the answer requires some background on complex DEs.

I would also like to point out, that the method is not always needed EVEN if we are looking for a solution in a neighboorhood of x0, where x0 is a regular singular point of p and q. For example, I cannot see, why the ordinary series method for the following Bessel-like equation: x2y''-xy'+(1-x)y=0 would fail! It delivers the same recursion formula as the solution with Frobenius method in wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frobenius_method does.

Register to reply