Mathematical Induction Step

by beatem
Tags: induction, mathematical, step
Share this thread:
beatem
Nov2-10, 02:39 AM
P: 5
Hi,

I'm trying to learn mathematical induction for proving inequalities, but there is just one step I cannot get past: finding another inequality that is added to the inductive hypothesis.

For example, in this problem:

Prove for all positive integers (n >= 1), prove 3^n + 2 >= 3n.

I understand the basis step and in general how to do induction, but for some reason, the example says that that after I get the hypothesis, 3^k + 2 >= 3k (for some arbitrary k), it can generate the inequality 2*3^k >= 3 for all k >= 1. Where does this come from? I can follow how it adds this inequality to the hypothesis, but what is this, and how would I go about getting this?

This isn't just a generic problem by the way: I've looked at many examples, but I can't figure out what this is when dealing with inequalities and induction.
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Heat distributions help researchers to understand curved space
Professor quantifies how 'one thing leads to another'
Team announces construction of a formal computer-verified proof of the Kepler conjecture
JonF
Nov2-10, 05:58 AM
P: 617
For your example I would first show: 3n ≥ 3n which is easier.
You said you can do the basic step. So let's move on to the induction.

To do the induction we suppose n, then we prove if n is true, n+1 is true.
So first suppose: 3n ≥ 3n. Then our goal is to show: 3n+1≥3(n+1)

To do that I would prove the following:
3n ≥ 3n ⇒ 3+3n ≥ 3(n+1)
Then i would prove: 3n+1≥3+3n for n>1
Putting these together: 3n+1≥3+3n≥3(n+1) This step shows our goal!
Thus by the principle of induction: 3n ≥ 3n for Natural n

Then you know: 3n ≥ 3n ⇒3n + 2 ≥ 3n or 3n ≥ 3n ⇒3*3*3n =3n+2 ≥ 3n from the properties of inequalities. It's hard to tell which of these you were trying to prove how you wrote it.
beatem
Nov2-10, 10:41 AM
P: 5
Thanks for the reply!

Sorry: I meant (3^n)+2

So is there no need for the extra inequality of 2*3^n >= 3? Or am I just missing something?

JonF
Nov2-10, 09:14 PM
P: 617
Mathematical Induction Step

No need for the other inequality, which i think you typed incorrectly.

Register to reply