About domain theory of ferro magnetism

In summary, the conversation is about the domain theory of ferromagnetism and how it differs from classical electromagnetism. It is explained that in classical electromagnetism, two nearby magnetic dipoles will oppose each other and cancel out. However, in ferromagnetic materials, the Pauli exclusion principle and exchange interaction cause the magnetic moments to align in the same direction. The concept is further explained with a diagram and the conversation ends with a thank you message.
A Dhingra
hi ...
i want to ask about domain theory of ferromagnetism...
first of all , According to classical electromagnetism, two nearby magnetic dipoles will tend to align in opposite directions, so their magnetic fields will oppose one another and cancel out.
how does this happen?
after this , ...However in a few the ferromagnetic materials, they tend to align in the same direction because of a quantum mechanical effect called the exchange interaction. The Pauli exclusion principle says that two electrons with the same spin cannot also have the same "position". Therefore, under certain conditions, when the orbitals of the unpaired outer valence electrons from adjacent atoms overlap, the distribution of their electric charge in space is further apart when the electrons have parallel spins than when they have opposite spins.

With parallel spin the charges are further apart than that due to opposite spin . . . . how ? ? ?

please explain this to me...
thanks for any help...

Physics news on Phys.org
hello...
someone... please help me with this ...

am i on the wrong category that no replies yet...

U try to continue with ur questions in the other thread only.

but what i wanted to ask was there to some extent ..so i continued there...
ok... can you explain me the first part of the question here... please

...According to classical electromagnetism, two nearby magnetic dipoles will tend to align in opposite directions, so their magnetic fields will oppose one another and cancel out.
how does this happen?
North pole (N) attracts South pole (S). Keep this in mind and take a look at the attached diagram. I hope it will be self explanatory.
Cheers

Attachments

• magnets.png
    magnets.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 435
The magnetic moments are canceled in the second configuration.

Ok i got it... thanks

1. What is the domain theory of ferro magnetism?

The domain theory of ferro magnetism is a scientific theory that explains the behavior of ferromagnetic materials, which are materials that can be magnetized and retain their magnetization even when an external magnetic field is removed. According to this theory, these materials are made up of small regions called magnetic domains, where the magnetic moments of the atoms are aligned in the same direction.

2. How does the domain theory of ferro magnetism explain the properties of ferromagnetic materials?

The domain theory of ferro magnetism explains that when an external magnetic field is applied to a ferromagnetic material, it causes the magnetic domains to align in the direction of the external field. This alignment increases the overall magnetic moment of the material, making it magnetized. When the external field is removed, the domains remain aligned, resulting in the material retaining its magnetization.

3. What is the significance of the domain theory of ferro magnetism?

The domain theory of ferro magnetism is significant because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of ferromagnetic materials, which are widely used in various technologies such as motors, generators, and magnetic storage devices. It also provides a basis for further research and development of new materials with improved magnetic properties.

4. Are there any limitations to the domain theory of ferro magnetism?

While the domain theory of ferro magnetism is a widely accepted explanation for the behavior of ferromagnetic materials, it does have some limitations. For example, it cannot fully explain the behavior of materials at very low temperatures or in extremely strong magnetic fields. Additionally, it does not take into account quantum effects that may be present in certain materials.

5. How does the domain theory of ferro magnetism relate to other theories of magnetism?

The domain theory of ferro magnetism is part of a larger framework of theories that explain the properties and behavior of magnetic materials. It is closely related to the Weiss theory, which describes the interaction between magnetic moments in a material, and the Stoner theory, which explains the origins of ferromagnetism in terms of electron spin. Together, these theories provide a comprehensive understanding of magnetism in materials.