Register to reply

Linear Algebra: Finding the Standard Matrix from a Function

Share this thread:
Cod
Nov6-10, 01:33 PM
P: 308
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the standard matrix of T(f(t)) = f(3t-2) from P2 to P2.

2. Relevant equations

n/a

3. The attempt at a solution

The overall question has to do with finding the determinants, so the matrix is provided; however, I want to know how the author came up with the standard matrix of T.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
What lit up the universe?
Sheepdogs use just two simple rules to round up large herds of sheep
Animals first flex their muscles
vela
Nov6-10, 01:53 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 11,746
You can find the columns of the matrix representation by applying the transformation to the basis vectors. If you're using the basis {1, t, t2}, the first column of the matrix would correspond to T(1), the second column to T(t), and the third column to T(t2).
Cod
Nov7-10, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the guidance. What happens when the basis is Rn? I realize R2 is a 3x3 matrix, R3 is a 4x4, and so on.

vela
Nov7-10, 04:36 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
Linear Algebra: Finding the Standard Matrix from a Function

Your question doesn't make sense. Rn is a vector space, not a basis.
Cod
Nov7-10, 07:05 PM
Sorry, I was looking at my homework when I typed the last post. I meant vector space.
vela
Nov7-10, 08:05 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
Same thing. You choose a basis and apply the transformations to the basis vectors to get the columns of the matrix representing the transformation.
Cod
Nov8-10, 04:50 PM
Quote Quote by vela View Post
Same thing. You choose a basis and apply the transformations to the basis vectors to get the columns of the matrix representing the transformation.
So, I could choose a basis of 1, t, t2; 1, t, t2, t3; and so on (to tnth)?
vela
Nov8-10, 05:13 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
Not for Rn because those aren't vectors in Rn. P2 consists of polynomials of degree less than or equal to 2, and each polynomial is a linear combination of 1, t, and t2. It turns out 1, t, and t2 are also independent, so they form a basis for P2. Rn, however, is a set of n-tuples, not polynomials. You need a collection of n linearly independent n-tuples to have a basis for Rn.

Register to reply