Force graphs and stress-strain graphs

by jsmith613
Tags: force, graphs, stressstrain
jsmith613
Nov8-10, 06:26 AM
P: 614
I know what a force-extension graph looks like.

DOes a force-compression graph look the same just with different axis?
(compression on the x axis NOT extension)

DOes a compressive-strain graph (Young Modulus) look the same as a tensile stress-strain graph?

if not what do they look like

thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists consider implications of recent revelations about the universe's first light
Vacuum ultraviolet lamp of the future created in Japan
Grasp of SQUIDs dynamics facilitates eavesdropping
Dadface
Nov8-10, 06:33 AM
PF Gold
P: 2,004
What do you think?
jsmith613
Nov8-10, 06:38 AM
Quote Quote by Dadface View Post
What do you think?
I think that they would be the same but I was just clarifying

Am I correct?

Dadface
Nov8-10, 07:26 AM
PF Gold

Force graphs and stress-strain graphs

Can you think of any sample of any material which when compressed acts in a similar way to when stretched?
jsmith613
Nov8-10, 07:32 AM
Quote Quote by Dadface View Post
Can you think of any sample of any material which when compressed acts in a similar way to when stretched?
A slinky spring?
Dadface
Nov8-10, 07:56 AM
PF Gold
I am now imagining a spring where the loops are not touching.When compressed the spring may display a Hooke's law type of behaviour but only until the loops actually make contact in which case any further compressive force tends to laterally distort the spring and or compress the material from which the spring is made from.Any resulting compression will be extremely (possibly immeasurably) small.Depending on the exact structure of the spring the Hooke's law type extension can be much greater than the compression and exceeding the elastic limit can result in the spring displaying increasing extensions similar to those displayed by ductile materials going into plastic regions.In short,with this example and others I can think of I can see some similarities between stretching and compressing but only for a narrow region surrounding the unstretched/uncompressed length.
jsmith613
Nov8-10, 08:05 AM
For compression stress-strain graphs it would be the same then? or not?

Register to reply